Bad Seal on Fermentor Lid for 3 days, should I worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3_Creepio

Reaction score
I'm worried about infection, mainly. I didn't think too much about it, because I know it takes a while for fermentation to start sometimes. But on the third day (today) there was still no bubbling in the airlock, so I panicked a little. I peeked under the lid and saw a nice giant head of krausen, and reasoned that there was a bad seal on the bucket lid. So I grabbed a newer lid from another bucket and sanitized it, and switched it out. It started bubbling immediately, of course.

Will the two or three days with a bad seal on the first lid (or the process of switching out to another lid) cause any infection?

I know I probably shouldn't worry. There's really no way to know until I can sample a gravity reading in a couple of weeks, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

And yes, I am trashing the old lid. And seriously considering switching to carboys from now on.

Oh, and basic info on the beer: It's a crystal-clear pale ale, 1.056 OG and about 5.6%ABV. I will be dry hopping in a secondary in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, guys.

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Go with your plan and leave the lid on for a few week and don't mess with it.
Welcome and good luck!~

Don't worry about having a seal on the fermenter. Lots of brews are fermented in open containers. The only thing that I worry about is having a lid that keeps dust and fruit flies out of my wort.

My first kit, in the 1970's, recommended a white plastic trash can as a fermenter with a piece of cheesecloth over it. Beer turned out fine.

I would only worry about this if you had a toddler who peed on it while loose. No worries!

Almost Famous Brewing Company

no reason to worry at all. I've started fermentation in my boil kettle before and just put the lid on, after 3-4 days and fermentation slowed i racked to a sealed container with airlock and all was fine.

I've read and seen some guys simply put sanitized tin foil over their carboys for the first couple days as well with no ill effects. The CO2 produced by fermentation will keep anything from geting in.

Some yeast strains produce a diffrent flavor profile depending on sealed vs. semi-open to open fermentations as well.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I had hoped to hear all of these things, so I suppose I posted this thread to hear some reassurances. I have gotten that and more, so thanks!

@iowabrew: I used a Wyeast American Ale smacker, which swelled up nice and no issues with. And as I said the high krausen looks good already, so I'm not worried with that, either.

I had read about open fermentation in Chris White's book about yeast and seen pictures of the giant vat fermentors at Anchor Steam Brewing, which I think they actually had on their roof at one point, so I'm just trying to be prudent about my sanitizing techniques and all of that.

I would only worry about this if you had a toddler who peed on it while loose. No worries!

I sincerely hope this isn't advice from your own personal experience! :D

Yep, I never seal the lids down totally when using buckets because I can't get the damn things off without making a mess. As was mentioned you just need to keep the airborne stuff out. Mine don't stay too long in the bucket, though, you wouldn't really want to age in them as oxidation would be the risk there.

Grateful I don't have to worry about toddler pee but I do have to stay alert for the pit bull mix who loves the taste of wort. I went to grab my yeast starter one time and turned around to find her lapping at the nicely chilled wort in the bucket. That batch turned out fine. :)

Ha, no luckily my boys are 22 and 25.

What is it with dogs and beer?? Our Bishon loves beer and when he's around I have to be careful as he will lick anything he can reach that Has touched the wort. Just another fella I guess!

IMO you should replace it with something that WILL seal, for more than one reason.

However, it won't harm your current beer. I prefer an air tight seal so I can watch the airlock activity. It can really help you determine when the bulk of your fermentation is over.

You don't need to worry though, the CO2 will fill up the container and any outside air will have trouble getting in.

Not only does the CO2 create positive pressure in the fermentation vessel, but infectious bacteria are not ninjas. They don't climb up the side of your vessel and sneak under the crack in you lid. Bacteria can fall into things or can ride on things that are intentionally placed inside the vessel. A lid sitting on top of a fermenter, even if not sealed, will protect the contents from contaminants.

No need to trash the lid, it's probably not the lid's fault. Most likely user error, no offense.

Don't throw that lid out just yet. Do a thorough inspection first. I've noticed they often have burrs that can cause a bad seal. A little scrapping with a pocket knife and all is well again.

Anyone else use a tooth brush dipped in star san to clean the seal up? Had the same problem and I always take a few extra minutes inspecting and sanitizing the seal.

Sent from my EVO using Home Brew mobile app

I'll look into it, although my LHBS sells lids by themselves pretty cheap.

Before I switched it out, I used a rubber mallet to gently bang the edges of the lid in to place, but to no avail. The lid itself no longer makes any sort of locking "click" when closing it on the bucket, not that it's a positive indication of the problem, but I'm not worried about replacing it. I have three fermenting buckets, and I'm currently only using one, so it wasn't a huge inconvenience.

I showed stuff to use to deal with this in one of my gadget videos on youtube. Comp still messed up from hacker crap,so I can't post it here. It's Gadget Video 1 on unionrdr's channel.

Yep, I never seal the lids down totally when using buckets because I can't get the damn things off without making a mess.
Bingo!! :mug:
Ever since I saw Edwort post a video where he just sets the lid on top of the bucket, that's all I do. No airlock, no seal. Just place it on top and let it ride.

Latest posts

Back