Bad Keg, Fix in place or transfer out beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottSingleton

Reaction score
I've got a cornie that's acting up and I think it's got something to do with the gas in post or poppet. I've had it on pressure for two weeks and the beer isn't nearly as carbed and the pour is really slow.

This is the first time I've used this particular keg and I had a hella-time getting the gas QD onto the post. it's like the poppet spring is on steroids.

Usually when I get a really slow pour I think clogged up tube/line/etc. But this batch hasn't carbed as much as they normally do in the two weeks on gas which is what is making me think it's the gas poppet -- that and the difficulty I had in pressing it down when putting on the QD.

I have replacement posts and poppets. Should I purge the keg, replace the posts/poppets and re-pressurize or do a Keg-Keg transfer?

Or am I totally off-base in thinking it's the gas post?

I would start with some soapy water in a spray bottle or star san and identify if you have a leak at all first.

Yes.. I think they were, they are the ones that look like pyramids and I think those are the universal ones.

I would suggest a fix in place of removing a coil and trying again. Standard keep it clean and test when done thing. Hopefully that is the cause and done a in a few moments.

I would suggest a fix in place of removing a coil and trying again. Standard keep it clean and test when done thing. Hopefully that is the cause and done a in a few moments.

+1

If we're talking about a simple post/poppet replacement, I see no need to drain the keg first.

Back