Bad hops ruin my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcurtis431

Reaction score
I was nearing the end of the boil of my first ever AG batch, which so happen to be an IPA, where I prepared to add the final hop addition of 1oz Cascade. When I opened the bag and smelled them they seemed to be a little off. Not a terrible smell, just not the classic citrusy smell I expected. I decided to toss them into the pot regardless. I later ordered additional hops online and they smelled much much more fresh. I dry hopped with an additional 1oz of Cascade.

This being said, my question is did I ruin my beer by adding hops that may potentially be stale? I bottled last week so I have yet to have a chance to see how the final product turns out. Just curious of what I should expect.

yea, that beer is going to be toxic.....lucky for you, i am certified to dispose of said toxic beers. pm for address and I will dispose of them properly........

your fine.........itll taste fine........RDWHAHB

lucky for you, i am certified to dispose of said toxic beers. pm for address and I will dispose of them properly........

I cry imposter, unless you can present you credentials....

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

;)

odd .. did you not taste it at some point before bottling? .. you have great will power for sure .. you are probably very good at this .. my guess is the beer is fine .. even if the first hops weren't all that fresh ... good luck

I used 3 year old Fuggles in a stout instead of the bag of Fuggles I had just bought, but didn't realize it until after I finished brewing. The old hops didn't taste bad in the beer, they just had lost much of their bittering compounds so the beer was very sweet. Before I tapped the second keg I boiled an ounce of the fresh Fuggles in a pint of wort, fermented it and added it to the keg. It was about the only time I succeeded in fixing a batch of beer.

Back