bad head retention in a hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
I've brewed three hefeweizens now and all have been quite tasty but all have had almost zero head retention. They have plenty of carbonation and pour a nice head but it disappears quickly to no head at all.

What gives?

Could be a number of things. For starters, what was your grain bill? (... include maltster if you can) What was your mash schedule?

Could be a number of things. For starters, what was your grain bill? (... include maltster if you can) What was your mash schedule?

50% Weyermann Pilsner
50% Weyermann Pale Wheat

15 IBU's of Mt Hood boiled for 60 minutes.

Total boil was 90 minutes.

Mash schedule:
30 minute rest at 111 for ferulic acid creation and then 45 minutes at 152.

50% Weyermann Pilsner
50% Weyermann Pale Wheat

15 IBU's of Mt Hood boiled for 60 minutes.

Total boil was 90 minutes.

Mash schedule:
30 minute rest at 111 for ferulic acid creation and then 45 minutes at 152.

That all looks OK. How did you raise the temp from 111°F to 152°F? If it spent a significant amount of time in the proteolytic enzyme range, it could have broken proteins down too much in your well-modified malts.

Otherwise, have you considered the possibility of head-killers?... soap residue on the glass, too much lipids in the wort, etc?

You may already be expecting this answer but you know what they say: the number one reason for pour head retention is a dirty glass. It doesn't always have to be visually dirty. Even just the residue from dishwasher detergent can kill your head.

I wish the answer was that easy but it's not the glass. I got the from 111 to 150 by adding boiling water so it was pretty quick. Hefes are the only beer that gives me this problem. Right now I'm drinking an APA that laces all the way down the glass.

I was thinking it could be something to do with the lack of hops in hefes. I know the oils in hops help in head retention. Has anybody else ever had this problem.

Has anybody else ever had this problem.
Yeah, most of the time my weissbiers get a big fluffy head that drops right down to a thin layer within moments. I always assumed it was the low hop oil content, but who knows.

Back