Bad flavors, help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemson55

Reaction score
Ok so heres the deal, I brewed a pale ale long ago and when I opened the bottles it was nasty and I ended up dumping most of it. More recently I brewed an IPA it also turned out nasty and I ended up dumping most of it. Then I brewed a couple other batches that turned out fine and I thought all was well. Now I am opening the Trippel I brewed on 10/10/10 which I am obviously hoping will be awesome and I can age a bunch and the first one is nasty. So thinking back on it I said that off flavor reminds me of that pale ale and ipa so I pulled one of each and poured all 3 in a line today and tried to get a good grasp of the flavors so that hopefully someone can help me figure out what the problem is and fix it, I also had the wife try them. Well turns out this Trippel tastes very good but I'm still a little worried. So the description we are both going back to is metallic, astringent, and just plain funky. But I just don't know how else to describe it and can't bring myself to drink more of it. I also noticed in the pale ale the oldest beer that the yeast poured out a dark greyish color, and in the trippel there is a pin head sized piece of a blackish substance which I believe is yeast because carbonation bubbles are coming off of it. I'm not sure if either of that contributes but I would think so. Anyway I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what the problem might be, I'd be glad to mail you 1 of each if you want to taste at least 2 nasty beers and a 50/50 shot at a trippell. Thanks.

not sure of your brewing process, but I have run into inconsistencies in the past. If you are properly sanitizing everything I am curious as to what water source are you using?

Black bit of yeast? NOPE. Greyish, maybe. All of mine is a variation of tan.

Astringent? Crap, I can't picture that taste right now...

Not like band aids at all?

Back