Bad flavor. Happened again. Advise??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
I have brewed about 50 batches so far, and every time I brew it just keeps getting better, with the exception of two batches.

I have had to totally different batches brewed three months apart come out with a real dry, bad yeast flavor. It smells pretty much like trub. Any idea what is going on with that and/or what causes it? My sanitation practices are pretty spot on, like I said, I have been successful in several batches, so I am just wondering if there is another problem that I am overlooking.

sounds like stressed yeast due to either pitch rate or temperature. Any detailed notes on both recipes? Are they the same style?

sounds like stressed yeast due to either pitch rate or temperature. Any detailed notes on both recipes? Are they the same style?

How does yeast get "stressed?"

Last time I had the issue I used a pack of WB-06, no starter on a 1.052 gravity wort. Kept temp at about 168. Don't remember much about the first time. It was a year ago.

Wait, the mash temp at 168? Thats way too hot for good conversion. I mash out at 168

The yeast can get stressed if you dont pitch enough or the temp get too high/low or both. They can produce off flavors as a result

How does yeast get "stressed?"

Last time I had the issue I used a pack of WB-06, no starter on a 1.052 gravity wort. Kept temp at about 168. Don't remember much about the first time. It was a year ago.

I'm guessing you meant to type 68, not 168.

In any case it's hard to help find a problem with such little to go on. Ideally a recipe and a few particulars about the brew including water source would be provided.

Yeast can be stressed by high or low temperature, over or under pitching, or poor water/wort conditions. I haven't found a reasonable amount of variance in any of those to make a huge difference in the final product. Generally you'd have to screw them up pretty good to get a really bad flavor (except maybe too high temp. Low temp generally means the yeast can't do their thing.)

WB-06 isn't a yeast I'm familiar with, but it looks like Hefe yeast, which can be pretty yeasty unless I'm mistaken (I don't brew hefe's, so this may be the case...)

Latest posts

Back