Bad Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz1

Reaction score
Yesterday I finished brewing a full boil IPA. Pitched last night at about 72F. Went to the basement to check on it and found that there were 2 cloudy/milky balls of yuk just below the surface. This is my 11th homebrew and have seen nothing like this.
Any thoughts???

...2 cloudy/milky balls of yuk just below the surface.

This screams fungal infection. BUT WAIT!!! It could not affect the beer too bad. It might give it a sour-ish taste, but I say don't waste it...

In fact that infection might give you a better taste! Who knows? If so, you'll have been glad you saved it, and maybe even wish you cultured it.

I work with fungus for a living... whooo... and we get fuzzy balls in our media sometimes and it's a cross contamination issue. What we do to prevent this is primarily two things that can be done at home.

1- Don't siphon/transfer/cool beer outside or near an open window during the spring/summer/early fall months (late march to late september), because it's during this time that wild fungus sporulates and release the spores into the air, and boy these things get everywhere.

2- Before you open anything up and sample, transfer... whatever, get a spray bottle and fill it with any solution of >=40% alcohol and spray it around you.

I follow #1 religiously when brewing, and only do #2 if I'm worried about something specifically.

BUT don't forget #3: Relax, don't worry and have a homebrew.

I screwed up my yeast starter for a Nut Brown Ale by only adding half the DME I was supposed to add. When I realized my mistake, I added some dry yeast the next day. I noticed some milk looking stuff floating around that I assumed was the yeast. Seemed to be fermenting fine, but finished fast. My guess is it is your yeast.

No pictures sorry!

Just heard back from another guy and he felt it might be to early for nasties to have taken over. Might just be the yeast still getting it's act together. Just totally different than I've seen before.

Cheers...

Toastermm - should have let everyone know I moved it to the basement only for the cooler temperature. It was in a sealed carboy for the trip down. Only took off one cap to install the air-lock....

After ten years and hundreds of batches, it never ceases to amaze me how funky wort can look and still turn out fine. Don't pull the plug too soon.

It would take MUCH longer than a few hours for mold to develop, I go with jpuf...it is just ugly fermentation....a couple of glops of yeasts are already fizzing away, soon you will have a krauzen.

Just checked and it is alive and fermenting well! Sorry for the over reaction, just never seen anything like it. Revvy, you are correct, JPUF!

I made a pale ale and it was never quit right tasting. It6 was an almost licorice (sp) flavor. It was different to say the least and I drank almost all of it but it started to grait on me and so I dumped the last gallon. i have read in two separate books about off flavors and their cause but could find nothing about the flavor of licorice(sp). Any takers. I meticulously cleaned everything twice afterwards and sterilized. I then put together a pale ale and it is great.
It's conditioning under CO2 as we type. Should be ready to drink for a party I'm having for my customers on the 28th of Jan. I think I had some contam some where to get that funky taste.

Oscar,

Back