Bad deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimmy1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, we do the cider at a friend's place. Harvest has been a real challenge this fall, and so has his work. I'm ashamed to admit it, but we have over 60 gallons of Nottingham that apparently didn't start. It was pitched about a month ago. I know that it is frowned upon by many, but we dry pitch. It it relatively cool in the ferment room, around 45-50°. We have had awesome luck fermenting at this temp, had not had an issue with Nottingham starting until now. Gravities are unchanged from O.G., and the must tastes awful. No mold or otherwise growing on top, and all carboys have been under airlock since 72 hours after pitching. We are currently out of Nottingham yeast, and no chance to get more for at least a week. We are hoping the bad flavor is from the yeast we pitched that didn't start, but not entirely sure. Anyone have this happen, and have any suggestions on what we should do? Thanks.

Well ....
I would sufite the juice until you can pitch more yeast. Aim for around 1.0-1.2ppm molecular SO2 based on the pH.

Along with Notty I would suggest you also pitch a commercial strain of Brettanomyces.
Brettanomyces metabolizes many unwanted flavor compounds, so it may be this cider's savior.

Properly rehydrate your yeast and aerate thoroughly before pitching.

Nottingham is usually pretty reliable, how many packs did you use in the 60 gallons? 40-50F seems kind of low for Nottingham, mid to high 50's would be better. The Lallemand website says optimal temperature is 50-72F. There's a good chance your yeast is fine, it just hasn't reproduced enough yet to get the fermentation going.
If the taste has changed, then something is happening.
I'd stir it up to rouse the yeast. If you have 60 gallons in separate carboys, bring them inside, let them warm up and see if the yeast kicks off. Once it gets going, you can return them to your cold area.
I've only use Nottingham in cider once and got a sulfur bomb, so now I just use it in beer.

Back