Bad Brew Days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mammothkraken

Reaction score
Saturday I brewed an Altbier on my back porch. Boiled 7 gallons in a 7.5 gallon pot and had to keep the heat higher than usual due to the very cold weather outside. Well of course I got a wicked boil over the second I walked away, now mind you I watched this thing for the first 40 minutes of a 90 minute boil. The second I walked away it went over...

Shortly thereafter I sanitized my carboy and placed upside down in my drying rack and apparently it wasn't very stable because it fell over and crushed my hydrometer.

At the end of the boil I was transferring my wort into the carboy and was down to the last 1/2 - 1 gallon of beer when my 2.5 year old son tested his luck and threw a pbw powder covered spoon in the pot...

needless to say not my best brew day recently.

Anybody else had some doozies?

actually this past Sunday I brewed a 10gal batch of double IPA and had more trouble than any other batch so far. First, I was filling up my 6 gal kettle with water from my fridge since it's filtered. I attach a small hose to the output of my fridge since it's filtered. I keep the botton pressed with a wedge of wood. Takes for ever to fill 5 or so gallons, so I tend to wander....what's that water fall sound I hear coming from the kitchen? Oh Crap! That was bound to happen eventually. I then realized I didn't have as much hops as I thought I had, so I had to adjust my recipe. Then I had a pretty nasty boil-over. Quite a display, and I was butt sober.

Last week I was feeling ambitious and planned a double 10 gallon batch, lots of overlapping heating up strike, sparge and boiling wort, as the night went on I noticed that the burners were not putting out as much as when I started, when I looked at the tank it had frost on it and was starting to freeze! What should have taken 6 hours at the most took nearly 10! I found putting the tank in warm water fixed the problem but it was already so late (er early) that it was to little to late.

Back