bad beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soberJim

Reaction score
Ok, so a few months ago I made a fruit salad recipe.
The recipe said it was quite drinkable early, which I completely agree with. It light and fizzy, with lovely light fruity flavours.

Now, it tastes like ****e to be quite blunt and honest.
Used amarillo hops and some other hops, can't remember the name, with ale base.

Og 1.047, fg 1.009, brewed around 26c and used raw sugar instead of the recommended light dm.

I know that its rare to get a brew that ages badly, but could this be it? Or do I have other underlying issues that could go deep?

On the upper hand, there's only a few bottles left coz it tasted that good early on. So not much suffering left ;) still keeping a few though, at minimum til Christmas.

I also have to ask.
What is ale base?

sugar as a bulk fermentable rarely plays well with taste.

amandabab said:
I also have to ask.
What is ale base?

sugar as a bulk fermentable rarely plays well with taste.

I will assume ale base refers to the base malt being the extract of the kit?

helibrewer said:
You used sugar instead of DME? Did you use any grain or malt extract?

EDIT: Just saw "ale base"....who much and in what form?

It was just Australian ale, Coopers can.. actually one of their recipes too. No grain or malt, figured it wouldn't make a massive amount of difference..

eljefe said:
What is the taste? Sour? Tart? Alcohol?

FYI Bad beers are perfect for brothers and fathers in law.

It's bitter, a bit twangy for want of a different word, wouldn't say sour because I don't mind that but this is just not good.
I wouldn't give the worst beer in the world to my brother, and am yet to have a father-in-law.

I realise the taste sounds like premature beer, but it did start wonderfully, the best tasting sesh beer I've made

helibrewer said:
That sounds like sugar twang....how much sugar did you substitute for DME? How much DME was called for in the recipe?

Used one kilo, and 900 grams it said to use, so an extra 100g, didn't want the rest of the open bag so I stirred it through. Didn't really reflect on the gravity readings

Thanks everybody for the super speed replies, its greatly appreciated!

Back