Bad Batch of Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fococlimber

Reaction score
I think i have a bad batch of stout beer, Chocolate Espresso Stout to be exact, It tastes super sour, and not in a good way, smells weird. any thoughts?:confused:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it smelled like uber sour when i opened the fermenter, like nose singing burning, it hurt!

Pretty sure he meant bleach bombing...strong bleach soak of your equipment to kill anything that might infect future brews.

The only infection I've ever had was vinegar sour, and it definitely got worse after a few weeks.

It's not particularly strong bleach watter, 1 tbs per gallon is all you need. Put every thing that touches your cooled wort in it at soak it overnight. Rinse it or just let it drip dry. Leave hoses in it for a few hours and then rinse them or they will turn a little white.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo it smelled like uber sour when i opened the fermenter, like nose singing burning, it hurt!

Wait - are you reacting to the smells of a fermenter? (and perhaps a taste?)

How long has it been in the fermenter from Brew Day?

While it is depressing to dump bottles and bottles of beer, DO go thru the motions - Prime it, Bottle it, let it sit 4 weeks minimum (stout, right? longer carb times), and taste. Then put them aside for 4 more weeks (darker beers, longer time to age properly) and try again. You may be very surprised!

Only after 6 weeks in the fermenter and 8 weeks in the bottle - if it's nasty, dump it. Otherwise - patience!

I would give it another week or two in the primary just to make certain it is bad. I hate to waste beer, but if after a week it is still rancid dump it and clean and sanitize everything.
I'm sorry you got zapped, and best of luck in getting everything cleaned and sanitized.

Back