Bacteria? Yeast? Pics included!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xaphoeous

Reaction score
I took the lid off of my primary after about 11 days to check the gravity and was greeted with all of this stuff on top. I have not seen it on top of any of my beers before. Here are a couple of pics. The links at the bottom of this post are to the full-size hi-res versions.

The white looking ring around the edge is just reflection of the bucket...
englishpale1sm.jpg

and up close...
englishpale2sm.jpg

Pic 1 Large
Pic 2 Large

Thank you for your insights!

It's fine, it's just one of the ways a krausen falls and leaves some "krausen Kurdles" behind. There's no rhyme or reason, but sometimes it forms oddly symmetrical shapes.

Awesome! You should have seen my reaction..."YES!!! It's Revvy!!! This guy's a genius." :ban:

Thank you so much for your quick response! I was a bit panicked! :mug:

I was gonna say.. looking at that white ring i was skepticle until you said just a reflection. That pattern reminds me of some kind of old walpaper,its kinda artful. Ive never seen such a uniform pattern perfect ferment like that. well at least til you opend the bucket it was perfect.

Well I'm glad it's a great beer pic and that it's not infected or anything!

It does look like old artistic wallpaper or pizza, hahaaaa :mug:

I'm like a proud father with all of these kind words about the beauty of my beer. :mug:

Ha ha ha , im waiting for someone to match this with a wallpaper picture.I know there is one. i know it.

I had one that looked like this once, when i racked off of it there were little holes all over the yeast/trub bed. I think it was releasing co2 from these little pockets, it was really quite fascinating and beautiful. It was on of my first brews, so I thought it was normal, but unfortunately I've never seen any of my brews do this again.

Great pic!! It's not done though. Let it go at least another week.

Another week huh? Ok, I was planning to transfer to secondary tomorrow evening (14 days in primary) and dry hop it a bit with about 0.5oz of Simcoe since it doesn't taste or smell like much yet. Perhaps I'll just leave it another week then?

I'm glad I read these threads because my first guess is that it was an infection.

However, I'm relieved to know that it's only a pepperoni pizza.. :D

E

Another week huh? Ok, I was planning to transfer to secondary tomorrow evening (14 days in primary) and dry hop it a bit with about 0.5oz of Simcoe since it doesn't taste or smell like much yet. Perhaps I'll just leave it another week then?

I would give it 3-4 weeks on the yeast before thinking about moving it... Of course, you CAN just toss the dry hops right in primary, and have one less thing to clean. Just 1/2oz of hops isn't enough to worry about, for trub...

If you go a full 3 weeks on the cake, then add your dry hops, you can let it ride in primary until it's ready to bottle up... Chances are, you'll have a much better brew that way. :rockin:

I took the lid off of my primary after about 11 days to check the gravity and was greeted with all of this stuff on top. I have not seen it on top of any of my beers before. Here are a couple of pics. The links at the bottom of this post are to the full-size hi-res versions.

The white looking ring around the edge is just reflection of the bucket...
englishpale1sm.jpg

Thank you for your insights!

That's actually a really cool picture. It's like if Alex Grey got into homebrewing.

That's actually a really cool picture. It's like if Alex Grey got into homebrewing.

WIN!

The tricky part would be for him to make the yeast form shapes of naked people or a woman giving birth... ya know, since that's like his bread-and-butter.

I think that pic would look cool if what we used to call diazzo effects were applied to it. It's sort of like playing around with layering color separations. I imagine the ps programs can do that now.

Golddiggie said:
I would give it 3-4 weeks on the yeast before thinking about moving it... Of course, you CAN just toss the dry hops right in primary, and have one less thing to clean. Just 1/2oz of hops isn't enough to worry about, for trub...

If you go a full 3 weeks on the cake, then add your dry hops, you can let it ride in primary until it's ready to bottle up... Chances are, you'll have a much better brew that way. :rockin:

When I have dry hopped before, I've put the hops in a cheesecloth bag of sorts. Do the same or just sprinkle them on top of the beer? They are Simcoe pellets, 0.5oz

I like the idea of using hop sacks. Keeps everything cleaner that way. I did that on my last brew,& it's clearing in the bottles very nicely.

Back