Backsweetening with concentrate Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterpants

Reaction score
Have a batch of cider that came out clean but tart (it's got cherries in it as well). Would like it a bit sweeter and thinking of using concentrate to preserve the ABV. It's currently kegged so no bottle bomb issues to contend with.

About 4 gallons. Preferred brand and amount???

Thanks!

I use old orchard also, at the rate of one can of concentrate to 5 gallons of juice. Won't you have to stop fermentation to get the sweetness, rather than a secondary fermentation?

My last cider came out way to dry so I may try to back sweeten with some concentrate this time around!

I use old orchard also, at the rate of one can of concentrate to 5 gallons of juice. Won't you have to stop fermentation to get the sweetness, rather than a secondary fermentation?

He said he was kegging, so that's a moot point. If you were bottling you would have to stop fermentation by stabilizing before or pasteurizing after if you want to carbonate.

He said he was kegging, so that's a moot point. If you were bottling you would have to stop fermentation by stabilizing before or pasteurizing after if you want to carbonate.

He said he wanted it sweet. If he kegs can't you still have fermentation thus bringing a sweetened cider back to dry?

I'm actually very interested in this as my wife likes things sweet, but i'm to afraid to pasteurize.

So one of you uses 1 can per 5 gal and one of you does 3-4 per 5gal? Seems like a crazy amount of difference.....are we comparing apples and apples here? What size sleeve of Old Orchard?

Yep kegging. My fridge is at 35F, Nottingham yeast was used. I don't have any worries about fermentation kicking up again.

He said he wanted it sweet. If he kegs can't you still have fermentation thus bringing a sweetened cider back to dry?

I'm actually very interested in this as my wife likes things sweet, but i'm to afraid to pasteurize.

I'm assuming if he is kegging that he is either A) Keeping it cold enough not to ferment or B) Stablilized with k-meta and sorbate. But you're right, if he didn't do either of those it would still ferment down to dry.

Just the normal tube. 1 can definitely isn't going to make it sweet if it has fermented dry. It is really up to your taste. I prefer semi-sweet(1.010-1.015) and sweet (1.020). I would buy a few and add them one at a time until you get the taste you're looking for. That's what I did when I first started out and began making my own recipes. Just make sure it gets mixed in well!

I used 2 cans, it came out perfect......except that when I stirred it up all the crud I had fined out with gelatin is now floating around. Still tastes good but it was crystal clear before..D'oh

Back