Backsweeten and bottling ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaMead

Reaction score
I have just racked into a carboy. I added k-meta and sorbate, how long should I wait before back sweetening? After back sweetening how long before bottling?

I wait few weeks before sweetening. If you like, you can test after a couple weeks if you like by putting some sugar in a pop bottle with some cider in it to see if it starts fermenting by a week or so.

How long before bottling?
Particularly if you're not good at avoiding drinking it while in the carboy/jugs ... then bottle immediately, as long as it's settled and clear.

I back sweeten at bottling time. I've heard of some folks waiting a week before bottling after adding the sweetener but I think it's just a personal preference.

If bottling to carbonate get a plastic soda bottle and fill it up, when it's firm go ahead and stove top pasturise and you'll not have bottle bombs.

I never bother pasteurizing our cider. I have made many of them. I bottle and carb like I would any other ale. The have all turned out great. I just had a bottle tonight that had been in the bottle for over a year. The flavor profile hasn't changed from what I remember it being.

Back