Backsweeten After Kegged & Carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have a Blood Orange & Green Tea Wheat that I have recently brewed, kegged, and carbonated. The blood orange didn't come through like I wanted so I need to know if I can depressureize the keg and open it safely to backsweeten? It's a sanke sixtel. I was thinking I could turn it upside down to purge it and then remove the spear?

George

doesn't your sanke coupler have a pressure release on it? just yank on the ring until the hissing stops and then pull the spear.

I suggest making a little tea by steeping some orange zest in warm sugar water, then filtering out the zest and dumping the solution into the keg. should help brighten things up.

Why remove the spear ever?
Remove the check valve from the beer side of a coupler and get a funnel whose stem fits into the beer side on top and slowly pour anything in there.

Do the same for cleaning the keg with a pump into the beer side and gravity out the air side with an upside down keg. This is the way breweries do it, they almost never remove the spear

I guess I over-thought it.... LOL.... Since I didn't have a spare sanke coupler and I didn't feel like disassembling one, I purged the CO2 this morning by shutting off the gas and using the pressure release valve. I then sprayed a measuring cup with star san and added an equal amount (8oz) of the Torrani Blood Orange syrup from the original recipe to the keg.

Unfortunately, without thinking, I rolled the keg and quickly shook it..... I hope this mixes and the keg settles.

George

Latest posts

Back