Back Sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurrTucky

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an IPA that has finished too dry. I have an idea that doesn't seem to have been part of a prior discussion.

Has anyone ever tried boiling 1-2# of Amber DME in a small volume of water & add into their fermenter to gain more malt & Carmel like sweetness after primary fermentation? Any reason(s) this wouldn't work?

Thanks

It will ferment dry, most probably. Your plan my work with less fermentables, steep speciality malts rather.

Thanks, I'll look into that! I did use crystal malt but dried the beer out just a tad higher than where I want by adding fruit juice. It's actually good enough to bottle, but I'd like a little more carmel sweetness to balance. Any reccomendation on lovibond scale? 80L, 120L?

You could try adding a nonfermentable sugar like xylitol or even stevia. The cider folks do it often, so check out that part of the forum. And I would do it to taste, so you don't overdo it.

You could try adding a nonfermentable sugar like xylitol or even stevia. The cider folks do it often, so check out that part of the forum. And I would do it to taste, so you don't overdo it.

I've seen some threads on that. I want some more Carmel notes as well, so I'll try the Munich first & then maybe try that to taste in a seperate sample to see what it does. Thanks for the advice!

After doing some research, I'm going to try Munich (60L) steeped.

Well, from what Briess says about their munich it sounded like what I was after. After more research I'm leaning toward plain crystal 60L. I may mix a little 20L & 80L to get some more complexity. I will mill the grain very fine for steeping to get the most out of it as possible.

This beer is already VERY drinkable without carbonation. I'm just not after a shandy style, the target is an all late hopped (Citra) pineapple IPA with good malt balance. I appreciate the advice.

Well, I did it. Steeped 1# each of Briess crystal 20L & 60L (finely milled) in 3 quarts of water @150 for 30 min. in muslin grain bag. I sat the grains (in bag) in a colander atop the kettle & Sparged with another 2 qt of 168F water, then boiled down to aprox. 1 qt while periodically skimming trub.

Cooled the sweet stuff down and carefully poured into the fermenter to avoid oxygenating wort. I'll report back with results. I can say that the flavors of the reduced grain tea where what I hoped for. Soon we will know.

I bottled yesterday using amber DME for priming sugar. Sample taste did seem to reflect some of what I was after. I think I could've even used more Carmel malt but we will see how it finishes..

Unless you want your beer to taste 'diet', I wouldn't use any of those fake sugars. I used stevia to back sweeten a cider and it tastes diet - and I don't like diet.

As always, YM (and tastes) MV.

Unless you want your beer to taste 'diet', I wouldn't use any of those fake sugars. I used stevia to back sweeten a cider and it tastes diet - and I don't like diet.

As always, YM (and tastes) MV.

I didn't rule that out, but I wanted to keep this recipe "all natural" as far as using natural sugars, malts etc. without any artificial flavors. I'm sure it would've been a lot easier but not what I was chasing on this one.

I tried one last night after one week of bottle conditioning. I think that it had the effect I was looking for, it certainly didn't hurt the final product. I could've used more..maybe..?

The outcome was good! My wife is a Miller lite/Coors light drinker & she actually likes this beer. I aimed it to be a
full flavored, easy drinking beer, brewed with Pinneapple juice & it turned out to be just that.

IMO it could improve still, with more time conditioning (which, it will by the time I enter it into a local competition). Hopefully it does well. I may tweak it some by either adding a touch more crystal malt yet (during the mash or steep) or by backing off of the juice some to see if it hits the ideal version of what I was after. Then, it may be suitable to submit into the recipe forum here.

Latest posts

Back