Back sweetening cider- options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philmycup

Reaction score
I’m currently making a vanilla pear/apple cider. I hoping to get a sweeter cider w/o back sweetening. I’ve heard vanilla beans can do that. My normal cider that I make is great no complaints, I just feel it’s missing that little extra to really get it to retail cider quality. Wondering what people add/ back sweet w to get cider a little sweeter? Suggestions

The only other thing I've done is back sweeten with a can or 2 of concentrate This is how I do the hard lemonades, essentially the same thing. 2 cans and 2 cups of sugar for a 5gal batch of completely dry batch seems to make folks happy.

Last edited:
FAJC works for me. The small amount that's needed to reach semi-sweet (1.008-ish) has zero effect on clarity, which is important to me. Recently I used some honey for sweetening, and it left the cider cloudy :( Should have filtered it, but that's a lot of work.

FAJC works for me. The small amount that's needed to reach semi-sweet (1.008-ish) has zero effect on clarity, which is important to me. Recently I used some honey for sweetening, and it left the cider cloudy :( Should have filtered it, but that's a lot of work.
What is FJAC?

Crap. Why did I say filtered? Typing one thing, thinking another. Yes... "frozen".

No, you do not need to pasturize. A potassium metabisulfite (campden) tab should be fine to neutralize the yeast.

If you keg, you could also throw in your freezingfilteredfrozen apple juice concentrate in right before you put it in the kegerator.

Last edited:
@Philmycup
Are you bottling or kegging? People are making assumptions, which may be causing confusion.

It certainly is not.
https://***************.com/wiki/Sulfite

How much work?

The work is buying or making a filter and then running it from one keg to another.

What happens if you start with a mixture of apple juice and FAJC?

What happens if you start with a mixture of apple juice and FAJC?

FAJC has a specific gravity of about 1.200, which makes it ideal for back sweetening since you need very little of it. Adding it to apple juice will raise the SG and increase ABV level, lots of people do that to make apple wine etc.

FAJC has a specific gravity of about 1.200, which makes it ideal for back sweetening since you need very little of it. Adding it to apple juice will raise the SG and increase ABV level, lots of people do that to make apple wine etc.
Well..since i followed what my brewing supply guys said to do, I am stuck with it. Fingers are crossed. I will keg it in 1.5 weeks, they said to let it sit 2 more...veey curious now! First time making a cider btw. Thanks for the advice!

Jumping in here. "What to use to sweeten hard cider?"

- Fruit. I have found that fruit additions do bring sugars but also kind of "ttrick" my toungue into thinking the cider is sweeter than it really is.
- Non-fermentables. Lactose, sucralose or xilytol etc... (No concern about restarting fermentation)
- FAJC or other sugar additions honey etc.... (Like fruit could result with additional fermentation. But my favorite option.)
- Vanilla and Tannins don't make it sweeter but I believe give it better mouth feel and rounds out the flavor. Again, like fruit kind of tricking you into thinking its sweeter than it is.

Options to consider for stabilizing if using fermentables to sweeten:
- Pasteurize (Prefer this if bottling)
- Filetreing to 0.45 micron or less.
- Potassium Metabisulfite.
- Cold crash and time prior to adding FAJC. (Prefer this when going to the keg.)

Back