Back sweeten with preserved juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkatz419

Reaction score
If a cider fully ferments dry, and you want to back sweeten, could you add preserved apple juice to add apple flavor without adding fermentable sugars? This would dilute the alcohol strength which might not be a bad thing in my case. I have a 9% batch that I'd prefer to be around 7%.

That makes sense to me. I would think that if you chill the cider, and then add the preserved juice it would work out. The combination should keep any remaining yeast from gobbling up sugar. I may try it with my current batch.

Can anyone confirm?

The problem is that along with the alcohol you're also diluting the preservatives. If you're going to be stabilizing the cider with sorbate anyways then using juice with preservatives in it is just fine.

A dude I know that's into cider making, who is dating a friend of mine, back sweetens with stevia, since it's not fermentable.

I've never tried it, but I suppose it could be worth testing out.

Latest posts

Back