Bachelor Party Lager Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoolyBooger

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that I am brewing this because I am the best man for a friends wedding and I want to do something cool for his bachelor party. He and most of his friends are just basic BMC drinkers. I am looking for honest recipe critique, not "just brew a lager and dump a bunch of water in it when you're done".

I want to brew something similar to an American Light Lager, but I don't want to use a bunch of adjuncts. I was thinking something along the lines of Sam Adams Light. So here is my recipe:

7.5lbs Pale 2 row
.25lbs Crystal 60L
.5lbs Carapils
.75oz Spalter Hops (60 min)
.25oz Spalter Hops (15 min)
lager yeast (haven't decided yet)

Mash at 148 for 60 mins
Mast at 158 for 15 mins
Mash out at 165 for 10 mins

Ferment at lager yeast temps
Lager for 4 weeks

Please give me any helpful critiques/criticism as this style is well outside of what I normally brew!

The recipe looks fine. Just make sure you use a TON of healthy yeast, pitch cold, maintain a low ferm temp, use pure oxygen from a cylinder, and do a diacetyl rest when the beer nears TG.

There is nothing for off-flavors to hide behind in these types of beers, so superb fermentation practice is a must if you want to have success with this recipe.

Back