Bachelor party Kolsch...transport questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefbrewer

Reaction score
Ok, so I am driving all the way from Atlanta to Kansas City (900 miles) in May for my friends wedding. I want to brew up a Kolsch and keg it and bring it to his bachelor party.
I plan on brewing the Kolsch, lagering it for about a month, then transfering it to a keg, adding priming sugar and letting it naturally carbonate in the keg at room temperature for a few weeks. Then I can put it in my truck, drive it half the way accross the country and chill it for the party. I will use one of those portable keg chargers with the 12 gram co2 cartridges.

Anyone see any reason this wouldn't work??:mug:

chief It would work, but might be cloudy when you get there from beer moving inside the keg. If it was me I would lager it for a 2.5 months then force carbonate. You can fit a 5 gallon keg with 5 pound co2 bottle inside of a 120 qt cooler with ice. Cold beer when you get there!

Be prepared with enough of those cartridges. I brought a keg of Mild to a party and it took like 4-5 just to get through the keg...

my experience is that it is best to get the beer carbed and conditioned in the keg...then prior to transport transfer to a clean keg to get the beer off any sediment...otherwise any yeast at the bottom of the keg will be resuspended.

cloudy as hell when you get to KC. you'd be way better off force carbing, and pulling off the first pint to get rid of the yeast sediment that'll fall out while lagering.

then take the force carb'd keg 900 miles and invest in a ton of CO2 bulbs.

Back