Bachelor / bachelorette home brew experience?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer2d2

Reaction score
A while back, I helped my neighbors brew a beer on my equipment for their wedding. We created 5 gal of a brown, about 6% abv. and a lighter ale at 5%. I created custom labels and bottled some of it, and kegged the rest. I let them use my kegerator to serve the beer at their wedding. The wife has now started her own catering company, and wants to partner with me to sell her customers a "bachelor / bachelorette home brew experience". Basically charge them xxx$ for doing the same thing I did for them.

Last edited:
It's almost certainly illegal without a slew of licenses - which likely extend all the way to the Federal level.
Bail...

Cheers! ;)

it ain't beer till you add the yeast! beer2d2 could brew it let them take the wort home, with a yeast packet.....

A while back, I helped my neighbors brew a beer on my equipment for their wedding. We created 5 gal of a brown, about 6% abv. and a lighter ale at 5%. I created custom labels and bottled some of it, and kegged the rest. I let them use my kegerator to serve the beer at their wedding. The wife has now started her own catering company, and wants to partner with me to sell her customers a "bachelor / bachelorette home brew experience". Basically charge them xxx$ for doing the same thing I did for them.
Nothing wrong with selling them a brew experience on which you are a consultant and rent the equipment to brew the custom beer you build for them.

Nothing wrong with selling them a brew experience on which you are a consultant and rent the equipment to brew the custom beer you build for them.

as long as they pitch the yeast? when i was on probation with a no alcohol clause, i brewed at my place, then threw the carboys in my car took them to my something or other's place and added the yeast there....

Might take a look at this article. It does suggests that - as long as conditions are met - this might be the equivalent of a "BOP" ("Brew On Premises") only someone else's premises, presumably, but I don't think that matters.

https://www.connelllawoffices.com/brew-on-premise-whats-the-status/
So it might be ok, but if there's money involved I would consult with someone who actually knows the laws of the applicable jurisdiction(s)...

Cheers!

Might take a look at this article. It does suggests that - as long as conditions are met - this might be the equivalent of a "BOP" ("Brew On Premises") only someone else's premises, presumably, but I don't think that matters.

https://www.connelllawoffices.com/brew-on-premise-whats-the-status/
So it might be ok, but if there's money involved I would consult with someone who actually knows the laws of the applicable jurisdiction(s)...

Cheers!
Interesting, according to that article, as long as I am not doing the brewing or packaging, and the people that are.. are over 21, looks completely feasible. Now, I'm not in Massachusetts, I'll have to check my own state obviously but that gives me direction. Thanks for the info and research! Great community here!

The Brew on Premise defense only will go as far as the personal consumption of the people that made it.
The only difference is that someone else is providing the space and equipment.
When the beer goes out to a catering company, a legit business that is providing a service for money to a couple and hundreds of guests, that is not personal consumption, that is a business. The article even goes as far as saying the only thing you can do as far as that beer being made is clean the equipment. You cannot mix, boil, rack, or do anything else that will turn grain into beer.
When I was in VA, there was a winery business there that had a model similar for winemaking. They could afford lawyers. They had space, they had primary and secondary fermenters, corkers, wine making kits, and knowledge. Their model was mostly aimed at a couple coming in wanting a wine to commemorate a wedding or anniversary. The couple would pick out the type/flavor/kit/bottles/labels. The couple would mix everything, pitch the yeast, come back in a week to rack to secondary, come back in a couple months to bottle and label. Then the couple would take the wine home. After that whoever the couple would GIVE the wine to is their business. I think they would expressly PROHIBIT working with any catering company. I was working by this place one summer and talked to them regularly and tasted a lot of wine. They occupied business space in a strip mall. I think they got visited about every other month no notice by the BATF for compliance for that side model. I just looked them up, and the "brew your own" model seems to be gone, but the winery part is still there. It would be your risk, your mortgage, not hers. It may be possible, but I would seek out your ATF rep, get copies of docs and take names.

The Brew on Premise defense only will go as far as the personal consumption of the people that made it.
The only difference is that someone else is providing the space and equipment.
When the beer goes out to a catering company, a legit business that is providing a service for money to a couple and hundreds of guests, that is not personal consumption, that is a business. The article even goes as far as saying the only thing you can do as far as that beer being made is clean the equipment. You cannot mix, boil, rack, or do anything else that will turn grain into beer.
When I was in VA, there was a winery business there that had a model similar for winemaking. They could afford lawyers. They had space, they had primary and secondary fermenters, corkers, wine making kits, and knowledge. Their model was mostly aimed at a couple coming in wanting a wine to commemorate a wedding or anniversary. The couple would pick out the type/flavor/kit/bottles/labels. The couple would mix everything, pitch the yeast, come back in a week to rack to secondary, come back in a couple months to bottle and label. Then the couple would take the wine home. After that whoever the couple would GIVE the wine to is their business. I think they would expressly PROHIBIT working with any catering company. I was working by this place one summer and talked to them regularly and tasted a lot of wine. They occupied business space in a strip mall. I think they got visited about every other month no notice by the BATF for compliance for that side model. I just looked them up, and the "brew your own" model seems to be gone, but the winery part is still there. It would be your risk, your mortgage, not hers. It may be possible, but I would seek out your ATF rep, get copies of docs and take names.

Business near me does the same, charges $100 for the experience and whatever he makes off selling the wine kit. You are required to fill out a form saying that you are making the wine so he doesn't go over the 200 (??) gallon a year personal limit. Its fun but he had to jump threw a million hoops, including buying land to grow grapes in Georgia, to get it done.

Latest posts

Back