Avoiding oxidation without closed transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunkerking

Reaction score
This morning I tried to do a closed transfer from fermenter to keg but ran into some problems because I don’t have a conical fermenter, I just have a stainless steel flat bottom fermenter. Basically there was too much hop debris and it clogged my ball lock disconnect and tube.

If I am going to do a transfer from a fermenter to a keg without doing a closed transfer what are the steps I should take to prevent oxidation?

Should I still do a liquid purge of the keg with sanitizer and CO2? or just use CO2 to purge most of the keg?

Thanks for any input!

Getting hop debris stuck in your keg connection is a PITA. I've struggled with this even with a conical. Over time, with practice, it will get better. But for now here are a few ideas to get you going...

1. Use a bag for your dry hops. You will probably want to add them while fermentation is at high krausen to deal with the oxygen but thats ok. You may want to increase the amount to make up for any reduced utilization. [I don't don't do this one but a lot of people swear by it]

2. Use an inline filter between your fermentor and your keg. I use one of these most of the time if I had a lot of dry hops.
1645298503527.png

3. Increase your batch size if your fermentor will accomodate a bit more beer. That will enable you to leave more behind . Works best if you have some sort of racking arm that can be turned so it is collecting beer from above the trub layer.

4. Cold crash and wait longer before kegging. Make sure you provide positive CO2 pressure while cold crashing so you don't suck in air.

Just stick to bagging your dry hops . It alleviates a headache . I have a CF5 and do closed transfers . I tried dry hopping commando once and let me tell you , it was a major pain . Clog city , and that's after cold crashing .

Ok sounds good I will give the dry hopping with a bag a try. I’ll have to research that.

Do you drop in a weighted bag and then fish it out prior to kegging?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
leave it in. fishing it out will stir things up and introduce a lot of oxygen. what is your fermentor? are you draining from fermentor through a spigot or using a racking cane?

From a spigot in a fermenter. Might get one of those stainless hop spiders?

Should I still do a liquid purge of the keg with sanitizer and CO2? or just use CO2 to purge most of the keg?

Route the fermenter blowoff/airlock through the liquid out of serving keg, then from gas in of serving keg to star san jug. The fermentation gas will purge the serving keg.

I have had good luck using an inline filter like show in the post from @eric19312. Mine is a VacMotion brand. I got it off Amazon, but I usually only see the more expensive Bouncer branded ones there. I think you can get them directly from VacMotion Suction cups, vacuum cups, vacuum filters, in-line strainers & filters. I am pretty sure the manufacturer for both brands is Ron-Vik, Inc specializes in the design and manufacture of products which combine wire or synthetic mesh with thermoplastics or plastisols.. Good to see something made in the USA for a change!

I dry hop loose and cold crash using a Fermonster with a spigot. I have had good luck doing a closed transfer of an NEIPA dry hopped with 6 oz of pellets.

I have had good luck using an inline filter like show in the post from @eric19312. Mine is a VacMotion brand. I got it off Amazon, but I usually only see the more expensive Bouncer branded ones there. I think you can get them directly from VacMotion Suction cups, vacuum cups, vacuum filters, in-line strainers & filters. I am pretty sure the manufacturer for both brands is Ron-Vik, Inc specializes in the design and manufacture of products which combine wire or synthetic mesh with thermoplastics or plastisols.. Good to see something made in the USA for a change!

I dry hop loose and cold crash using a Fermonster with a spigot. I have had good luck doing a closed transfer of an NEIPA dry hopped with 6 oz of pellets.

If you go on the vacmotion website you can find a lot of different line connection options including NPT, barb and push fit plus variety of mesh choices and gasket options. Awesome variety of options.

For me closed transfers are a significant PITA, so I use a 1/4 tsp of Ascorbic Acid into the keg, then gravity transfer as usual. It seems to work for me, as my hoppy beers stay fresh much longer that before. :mug:

Back