Avery Karma Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedHeadBrew25

Reaction score
Hey All,

The SWMBO and I got to try Avery Karma (their seasonal Belgian pale ale) this past weekend at a local pub and I gotta say it was pretty tasty….yeah sure I’d take a pint of their Maharaja over this any day, but overall it’s a nice summer session beer.

But here’s the kicker….the SWMBO, who is not a beer drinker, couldn’t get enough of this stuff! I mean she was knocking these back like no tomorrow!

So I think you all get where I’m going with this…..I need a clone recipe so that I can continue spending silly amounts of money on this hobby/obsession and as a chip in the ol’ pocket.;)

Here is what their website says about the beer:

Beer Style: Belgian Pale Ale
Hop Variety: Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Belgian special B, cara 45, aromatic
OG: 1.048 ABV: 5.2% IBUs: 10 Color: Amber

We believe in Karma. We suspect most of you do, too. It truly is a global concept. Very simply put, "you get what you give." Inspired by this principle and the wonderful farmhouse and pale ales of Belgium, we've created Karma Ale, a decidedly fruity and estery ale, intricate in body and nose, all driven by a unique Belgian yeast strain. Remember, good things DO happen to good people. Here's to being good!

Big question here is the yeast…..it’s very fruity, lots of apple / pear / apricot come through in the nose, also picked up on some citrus notes, and a hint of spiciness.

Can someone do me the favour and pop this info into BeerSmith and come up with an extract (w/ steeping grains) recipe?

Thanks! Brew Onward & Upward!

First off. A) if you email Avery and stroke their egos a bit, they are normally pretty open about the recipe.

However, I did attempt to make myself this beer and got pretty dang close. The flavor was off because I had a slight infection, but I could tell it would have been close to spot on without.

8.75lbs 2Row
0.38lbs Aromatic
0.38lbs Caramel-40 (couldn't find 45)
0.38lbs special B
0.50oz Sterline (6% AA) at 75min.

Leuven Pale Ale Yeast.

OG:1.048
FG:1.008
IBU- 10.5
Color- 11SRM

I didn't add any spices, and really that might have been the one thing missing, but it was difficult to tell with the slight sourness from the infection.

So for extract, I would say.
7.32lbs Pale liquid extract
0.20lbs crystal 40
0.20lbs aromatic (no sugars, just taste/color steep)
0.20lbs special b (no sugars, just taste/color steep)
0.40lbs table sugar.
0.60oz Sterling at 60min boil

You may want to try a different yeast to get more spiciness. I really like the Leuven, but it does tend to be a bit on the mild side.

As a regular at Avery's tap room, I would like to suggest something like their seasonal tap-room only special release based on Karma called "Hand of Buddha". My understanding is that they basically they just dry-spice Karma with Buddha's Hand (the orange-like fruit).

It's fantastic. A bit more citrus and tartness really complements Karma's flavor profile.

First off. A) if you email Avery and stroke their egos a bit, they are normally pretty open about the recipe.

However, I did attempt to make myself this beer and got pretty dang close. The flavor was off because I had a slight infection, but I could tell it would have been close to spot on without.

8.75lbs 2Row
0.38lbs Aromatic
0.38lbs Caramel-40 (couldn't find 45)
0.38lbs special B
0.50oz Sterline (6% AA) at 75min.

Leuven Pale Ale Yeast.

OG:1.048
FG:1.008
IBU- 10.5
Color- 11SRM

I didn't add any spices, and really that might have been the one thing missing, but it was difficult to tell with the slight sourness from the infection.

So for extract, I would say.
7.32lbs Pale liquid extract
0.20lbs crystal 40
0.20lbs aromatic (no sugars, just taste/color steep)
0.20lbs special b (no sugars, just taste/color steep)
0.40lbs table sugar.
0.60oz Sterling at 60min boil

You may want to try a different yeast to get more spiciness. I really like the Leuven, but it does tend to be a bit on the mild side.

KyleWolf, thanks so much for the quick response.

Quick question though....would this conversion be for a full 5 gal boil?

How would you adjust the hop schedule to do say a 3 gal. boil?

Thanks again!

As a regular at Avery's tap room, I would like to suggest something like their seasonal tap-room only special release based on Karma called "Hand of Buddha". My understanding is that they basically they just dry-spice Karma with Buddha's Hand (the orange-like fruit).

It's fantastic. A bit more citrus and tartness really complements Karma's flavor profile.

Sounds very interesting indeed.....now to do a little reseach on how one would go about locating this obscure fruit.

KyleWolf, thanks so much for the quick response.

Quick question though....would this conversion be for a full 5 gal boil?

How would you adjust the hop schedule to do say a 3 gal. boil?

Thanks again!

I would say just punch it all into beersmith and adjust it till you reach 11IBU

Well RedHead or Kyle?? How'd it go? Me and my brother just tried this the other night and were really impressed. Very smooth, very drinkable, and the citrus taste was noticeable without overpowering it at all. Even had a real nice marshmallow sweetness as a finishing kick.

My waitress told me it was supposedly brewed with mandarin oranges and something else.

But we loved it and I would definitely consider trying to give this one a shot if I can come up with a decent recipe

Cheers

Back