Average time YOUR sparge takes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
Hello,

I use a two tier RIMS system to make 10 gallon batches. My HLT is above the other two keggles. I built it this way to be able to utilize one pump and gravity feed from this one to the MLT.

I was wondering, on an average.....how long should my sparge be. I normally keep 1-2" above the grain bed. My average sparge takes 5-10 minutes....is this too fast?

my set up is similar to yours keggle HLT above keggle mash tun above boil keggle....and a pump to recirculate and move if necessary. I am usually done in 20 minutes but I slow the flow down using the valves at about 20% open. 82% efficiency average (basically high 70's to high 80's).

I've been experimenting with mine recently (similiar setup, running off 12g, pre-boil).

I used to take about 1/2 hour and ran about 78% efficiency. My last two batches I took about 1.25 hours, and my efficiency ticked up to a little over 80%. I'm not sure it's worth the extra time.

The premise for my question was I was browsing through my new morebeer catalog and noticed that their beginner brew kits specify a 30-40 minute sparge.

I slow the flow as well using my valve(s). I have great luck with the current way I am doing it but just want to make sure I'm not sparging to quick. I am going to try and slow it down even more to give the bed a really good rinse.

About 15 minutes for the whole process for my 5-gallon batches. Infuse, stir, let stand for 5 minutes, vorlauf, runoff. Repeat if Beersmith tells me to repeat it.

For 5.25g batches and a 5g MLT it used to take me 60 minutes for a gravity of about 1.050, or 90 minutes for a gravity of 1.075 (collecting 7 gal)
For the same size batch using a 10g MLT, it varies between about 30 minutes, and 45 minutes, and I lose about 5% efficiency.

This is fly sparging.

-a.

I fly sparge also.....but I ditched my copper manifold and went with loc-line for the mash and sparge......I think I will increase the time a bit to see if it changes anything with my beer outcome.

I wonder if there have been any studies on this. The whole purpose of the sparge, along with "ceasing" the conversion process, is to rinse any remnant sugars from the grain. I don't think it would take long to do this because the sugars are in solution already, you just need to wash any sugar solution "stuck" to the grains.

I usually let my batch sparge sit for 10 mins or so and get mid 70's efficiency.

I do a hybrid batch sparge; add 1/2 sparge water, recirculate and as I'm running that off I top off with the other 1/2 takes about 15-20 min. I get between 73-80% efficiency.

I do a double batch sparge and for 10 gal batches it takes ~20-25 min. Vorlauf, drain the mash, add 1st sparge addition, stir for 5 min, let sit for 5 min, vorlauf, drain and repeat. Average 80% efficiency.

Zero. Full-volume, no-sparge, BIAB with efficiency in the high 70's.

Generally it takes one to two homebrews for me. On one occasion it took almost three but, I had a very fine crush-almost stuck.

I was wondering, on an average.....how long should my sparge be. I normally keep 1-2" above the grain bed. My average sparge takes 5-10 minutes....is this too fast?

I would say this is much too fast, but that is JMO. I have done anywhere from 45 min to 120 sparges on my 10-15 gallon batches and see a definite efficiency improvement with longer sparges (to a point). If you are more concerned with time management than efficiency, go ahead and go faster and dial back your expectations a little. I should also mention that I typically get 80-85% depending on OG target and my sparge speed.

I think I will raise my sparge time....time management isn't the issue it is just inexperience....I do get great beers but maybe they can be moved to excellent beers?

Back