Average price per pound at your LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shop at BrewStock here in New Orleans. They seems to have REALLY good prices on everything from grain to equipment. I don't know how he does it, but his prices are better than most of the major online companies.

http://www.brewstock.com/

For Grain...
Two row = $1.25/lb
Majority of everything else = $1.65/lb

my LHBS has grain by the pound that's on par with ordering on line, especially when you consider no shipping at the Local store.

I haven't asked him yet about bulk orders, but I need to. that'd be awesome if I can get 50 lbs for $33 like I can online!

my LHBS has grain by the pound that's on par with ordering on line, especially when you consider no shipping at the Local store.

I haven't asked him yet about bulk orders, but I need to. that'd be awesome if I can get 50 lbs for $33 like I can online!

Where is this online store that sells 2-row for $33/sack (without like $35 shipping)?

Yeah it's like 70 bucks for a 50 I think. Specialty grains go up from there. Group buys or get them from a brewery is the best way to go.

Brew Brothers in Portland, OR has some great prices. $29/bag for GW 2-row, on up to $70/bag for the good imported stuff.
Base malts range from $0.75/lb to $1.30/lb
Specialty Malts go up to about $1.50/lb unless it's organic
They have a ridiculous variety of malts in stock and are super-helpful.

We have a few options in NYC. I go to Whole Foods in the Bowery- they have a great brew shop. $1.24 for base, $1.64 specialty.

Is it true beer in Hawaii if pretty heavily taxed? I was told it was around $8 a six pack.

Is it true beer in Hawaii if pretty heavily taxed? I was told it was around $8 a six pack.

I don't pay anything different at the cash regester for beer than for food. Must be buried in the cost by the distributers. Craft beer goes for about $8-12 a six pack.

small local store was about $3/lb! There are probably better stores in the city, but with flat rate shipping, I think BMW will get my business.

Brew Brothers in Portland, OR has some great prices. $29/bag for GW 2-row, on up to $70/bag for the good imported stuff.

And for those that don't want to take away a full bag, they will give you the bag price and track how much you buy. A virtual bag of grain!

And for those that don't want to take away a full bag, they will give you the bag price and track how much you buy. A virtual bag of grain!

Can't say enough about Brew Brothers!! I pass up at least two reputable LHBS's just to shop there!:D

Pretty much all base malts are $1.39 at my LHBS, pretty much all specialty malt is $1.49-1.59.

Usually much cheaper buying grain from my LHBS, but pretty much everything else is much cheaper online.

My LHBS is rather expensive for grain. They sell their base malts in 5 and 10lb bags for 7.99 and 14.99 respectively. I don't know the price for a full sack. Specialty stuff and other malts are 2-2.50/lb. The rest of their supplies are competitively priced it seems. This being Italian NJ, they're much more a wine shop than beer.

I shop at BrewStock here in New Orleans. They seems to have REALLY good prices on everything from grain to equipment. I don't know how he does it, but his prices are better than most of the major online companies.

http://www.brewstock.com/

For Grain...
Two row = $1.25/lb
Majority of everything else = $1.65/lb

That is right on par with what I am paying at mine.

samc said:

That's awesome. If I had the loot I would start one to put the jag offs here out of business lol.

That's awesome. If I had the loot I would start one to put the jag offs here out of business lol.

jag offs = Pittsburgh Term. No one from any other place in the country will know what you are talking about. :) In all seriousness you should try to get a Pittsburgh area group buy going.

But $29 for a 50# sack of GW 2ROW is a great price, in fact it is better than the price on a 2000#+ group buy. (Actually almost equal without the shipping.)

My lhbs sells some of the specialty grains (like Crystal 60) at $1.95/#, and some a bit higher (e.g. $2.25/# for things like biscuit ). Base 2row is somewhat cheaper ($1.50/#). They also occasionally offer up sacks of 2row for $36 or so. I try to give them business, I even bought a sack of 2row even though I had just gotten a sack from a group buy because I want to encourage them offering special deals like this.

copyright1997 said:
jag offs = Pittsburgh Term. No one from any other place in the country will know what you are talking about. :) In all seriousness you should try to get a Pittsburgh area group buy going.

But $29 for a 50# sack of GW 2ROW is a great price, in fact it is better than the price on a 2000#+ group buy. (Actually almost equal without the shipping.)

My lhbs sells some of the specialty grains (like Crystal 60) at $1.95/#, and some a bit higher (e.g. $2.25/# for things like biscuit ). Base 2row is somewhat cheaper ($1.50/#). They also occasionally offer up sacks of 2row for $36 or so. I try to give them business, I even bought a sack of 2row even though I had just gotten a sack from a group buy because I want to encourage them offering special deals like this.

You may not have heard the term but surely anyone could determine the meaning by context.

No need for a group buy really. I can get the bags from one of the breweries hear. Bastards forgot about me last round tho.

Another big Brew Brothers fan. I don't buy bulk, but at .72 a lb for GW 2-row, .77 for Munich, $2.00 for 2 oz of Cascade whole hops, US-05 for $2.40, Notty for $1.50 - it makes for some pretty affordable brewing.

Two LHBS here. The one I buy grains at has base malts ranging from $1.19-$1.79/lb, and most specialty malts are either $1.69 or $1.79/lb. Some of the organic and imported malts are $2+/lb. Use of mill is free for any grains purchased there. They offer a small discount for buying full sacks. Homebrew club members get 10% off. Not sure about the exact prices across town, but I know they're a little higher.

Fiftypoundsack.com has Malteurop 2-row 52# sacks for $59 (~$1.13/lb) and Rahr 2-row 52# sacks for $62 (~$1.19/lb). Those prices include shipping within the cont 48. I've been using a lot of marris otter lately, and want to get a mill since it would be much cheaper by the sack than from my LHBS.

TrubDog said:
Another big Brew Brothers fan. I don't buy bulk, but at .72 a lb for GW 2-row, .77 for Munich, $2.00 for 2 oz of Cascade whole hops, US-05 for $2.40, Notty for $1.50 - it makes for some pretty affordable brewing.

Wow!!! Those are awesome prices. I think those are better than if I buy in bulk from my LHBS.

They also deliver to your door in the Portland area if you spend $200, or will meet you at designated pick up areas throughout the week for lesser orders if you don't want to drive out to the shop!

I have an airline shipping hookup so I have them drop it off at the airport for me! Awesome people, probably the best selection out of almost anyone and amazing prices.

My LHBS is pretty expensive. I buy yeast ($7 Wyeast Smack) and odds and ends... but specialty malt is about $3/lb or more and the variety is limited. The only base malt they really stock is about $68/sack which isn't too bad considering what I've seen others in the Continental US pay.

They also deliver to your door in the Portland area if you spend $200, or will meet you at designated pick up areas throughout the week for lesser orders if you don't want to drive out to the shop!

I have an airline shipping hookup so I have them drop it off at the airport for me! Awesome people, probably the best selection out of almost anyone and amazing prices.

My LHBS is pretty expensive. I buy yeast ($7 Wyeast Smack) and odds and ends... but specialty malt is about $3/lb or more and the variety is limited. The only base malt they really stock is about $68/sack which isn't too bad considering what I've seen others in the Continental US pay.

I did not know they would deliver over $200. But another vote for them. The bulk prices are usually only a few dollars over what you can buy it from Country-malt in Vantucky for. 22.5 from the malster, 29 from the lhbs, not bad.

copyright1997 said:
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. (and was trying to make a joke.)

I didn't mean you I meant the generic you. Sorry about your joke heh.

I love Brew Brothers. And their hops are cheap too. ~$1 per ounce for almost any variety. I think the most I have seen there is $1.60 per ounce.

You guys are killing me! My LHBS is 1.80 lb for all grains. A sack of two row is 47.50 with an AHA discount otherwise 50 bucks out the door.

jag offs = Pittsburgh Term. No one from any other place in the country will know what you are talking about. :)

Actually, I had always assumed that Chicagoans were the only ones that used this term (never have heard it uttered outside of the Windy City).

I pay $2 per lb for bin grain and bagged grain runs from $65 for Belgian Pils at the high end to around $45 for a bag of locally milled Malteurope 2row.

I was going to say, there used to be a spam heavy band in the MySpace days from Chicago called the Jagoffs I think. I always thought it was a burgh thing but I guess a chi thing too and no where in between? Strange. Great term though. Same thing as ********* pretty much.

Back