Average cost of your 5 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgineers

Reaction score
I'm always curious what other homebrewers are paying per batch. whether it be 5 gallons at a time or more. what is the average per batch for your homebrewing?

Currently extract brewing.....5 gal costing $25-$40 depending on type of beer, and if I reuse yeast. Last batch (Fat Tire clone) was ~$22 (i reused my Cali Ale Yeast) and saved an extra $6.75 off that batch...

If your all grain buying grain, and hops in bulk will pull your per batch prices way down.

If done some math, I am about to move to 10 gal all grain batches and buying bulk....10g will cost almost the same as a 5 g extract batch.

AG here

$.55/lb base grain ~18# -$9.90
$1.6~ /lb speciality grain ~ 2# - $3.20
$1/oz hops ~ 4 oz - $4.00
yeast from slant so DME - $1.00
10# propane - $7.50
add another $1 for ferm cap and other misc items

Total - $26.60 for 10 gallon

just a rough and tumble estimate

I do 10 gallon batches and buy in bulk. But there is a huge range in price per batch depending on what recipe I'm brewing.

20 - 30 lbs of grain at 1.00/lb = 20-30.00
2-10 oz hops at 1.00/oz = 2-10.00
yeast + starter = 3-10.00
propane, cleaner, ferm cap, etc... 10.00

so that's 35.00 - 60.00 per 10 gallon batch

For me a typical batch of 6%-8% runs $30-35 just for ingredients and water. I buy at the LHBS bulk base grain and specialty grains typically. The expensive thing is buying specialty grains locally since they charge around $2.50lb of bagged specialty grains. If I was super thrifty like some the guys here I could cut my base grain prices and half and order specialty grains online. I like supporting local businesses though. I do use BMW on occasion because my local doesn't carry some things I want. Sometimes I reuse yeast sometimes I use dry yeast. I buy hops that I use in IPAs in bulk for sure.

My last batch (4.25 gal, AG, 1.050OG) cost $9.49. Using washed yeast & homegrown hops.

Around $20 for an average gravity and hopped pale. That's pretty much buying base malt and hops in bulk and using washed yeast.

Yeast prices have really gone up around here.

My raw materials are normally $15-$20 for five gallons. That's just grain, hops, and yeast. Base malt by the sack, about a buck a pound. Specialty grains about $1.50 per pound. Hops from HopsDirect for about a buck an ounce. Yeast mostly reused from washing previous batches. I haven't yet gone through the exercise of determining how much sanitizer, propane, electricity, water, CO2, O2, etc. it takes me to make a batch.

My most expensive this year was $40 for an IIPA - fresh yeast and lots of hops
My cheapest was $13 - low alcohol session beer

good prices we just spent around $50 for a 10 gallon batch and wanted to make sure that wasnt way off the norm

brewgineers - great question.

I've been doing kits which can be expensive. Once I get a few more under my belt, I may try BIAG (brew in a bag) to save a little $.

One of the best things you can do is washing yeast, it will save you $7 per batch right away.

Ingredients can be cheap, especially if you're talking AG and you buy in bulk.

That being said, however, my cost per 12oz serving is still somewhere north of $3.50 when all my equipment costs are factored in. I suppose that per-serving cost will go down with each successive brew, but c'mon- as long as stainless steel still exists, I can't see an equipment buying freeze happening anytime soon :)

Bitter cost me $33 bucks since I was out of malt and wanted a certain type of hop. IPA with all the bulk buys was $23 for 5 gal batch and 350g of hops.

If you count the cost of my new brewshed and electric setup, around $2500 a batch. It's a HOBBY man, money is NO object.

_____

If you count the cost of my new brewshed and electric setup, around $2500 a batch. It's a HOBBY man, money is NO object.

_____

same here, I have $1000 in mine now....hahahaha....So far, have insulation in, wall sockets in, walls up, floor purchased.

Insanity!!

.50/lb for grain group buy * 10 lbs = 5.00
1/oz hops group buy * 4 oz = 4.00
1 lb specialty grain = 2.00

11.00 for a 5 gallon batch with cheap labor (me).

It's good to be a regular at a brewpub and know the brewers.

_____
I tend to overlook the hobby aspect, but you are right. Plus homebrewing is MUCH cheaper than a couple of my previous hobbies: hunting & fishing:mug:

Ingredients can be cheap, especially if you're talking AG and you buy in bulk.

That being said, however, my cost per 12oz serving is still somewhere north of $3.50 when all my equipment costs are factored in. I suppose that per-serving cost will go down with each successive brew, but c'mon- as long as stainless steel still exists, I can't see an equipment buying freeze happening anytime soon :)

Must...not...mention...equipment..costs....

I brew 4 gallon batches and buy everything in bulk. I usually don't wash yeast, so that's the biggest expense. And my system is mad ghetto, so I probably only have 150 bucks invested in that. (OG: 1.050)

Maris Otter $0.80 x 6lbs = $4.80
Hops, 2oz at $0.62 = $1.25
Wyeast activator = $7.00
Specialty grains, 1lb = $1.50

Total Cost: $14.55 per batch

My last batch (4.25 gal, AG, 1.050OG) cost $9.49. Using washed yeast & homegrown hops.

This is where I hope to be in 2 years :)

Currently I pay anywhere from $30-$50 per 5 gallon batch buying the grain + extract per batch from my LHBS.

Usually $50 for a 5-gallon.

I usually make bigger beers though, and do partial-mashes. The extract costs more.

I brew 13.5 gal batches typically that end up costing $13-20 per 5 gallons of finished beer depending on the gravity and hop bill. I record all my costs, so I ave a pretty detailed tracking of them, including averaging 3 batches per $18 tank of propane.

Running out of the "by the pound" hops and having to pay $2/oz at the LHBS or using a ton of specialty malts as opposed to the bulk base malts will really punch a hole in my usual costs, but it happens.

This is where I hope to be in 2 years :)

Currently I pay anywhere from $30-$50 per 5 gallon batch buying the grain + extract per batch from my LHBS.

Sweet jeeeeebus. That's my cost for 13.5-14 gallon batches including propane cost!

Of course how many of us amortize the capital costs

Buying bulk grain & hops plus propagating yeast has enabled me to get my ingredient costs for my Bavarian Hefeweizen under 6 bucks for 5 gallons.

In this case, I use two base malts, not much hops, and I propagate the 3068 yeast.

I spend around $15-25 for a 5 gallon batch. I usually make my beers 6-7% so there's a little more grain involved than a session beer. I typically wash yeast and buy hops in bulk so my cost is pretty much all grain. If I have to buy distilled water that's about $7 added expense.

Ok I am thinking i just brewed my last 2 batches of Extract beer.. The pale/ipa 10 gal 1.065 OG cost $72 for the extracts and extra $5 for the specility grains $14 for yeast Wyeast 1056 2 packs and the hops $.29 an oz with 10oz =$2.90 total $93.9 not including the 4oz for dry hopping..If i could get that under $50 for 10 gal i would be STOKED!

I started back brewing about 1 year ago after taking almost a decade off. Since that time I have been very meticulious in tracking costs (anal, I know).

I've done about 30 x 6.5 gallon batches (Partial mash, never bought a kit) over the past year, and they average out as follows:

Average cost for ingredients for 5 gallons = $18.50

Average OG = 1.058

Costs include Hops (4.0 ozs average per batch), grains, extract, other fermentables (including fruit and priming sugar), yeast, bottle caps and FermCap.

If I roll up all my costs (including equipment) it ends up about $0.50 per bottle.

This does not include time, or electricity.

The biggest things which help keep the costs down are:
- Buying hops in bulk. Mine work out at $0.62 per ounce.
- Buying extract in bulk. 33 lbs LME for $60
- Re-using yeast. Current cost is about $1.00 per batch. I have several strains going and that cost should come down further as I continue to reuse them.
- Buying grains in bulk (on-line) rather than as needed. Average is $1.40 per lb (includes base and speciality grains). It could be cheaper still if I were to buy 50 lb bags, but I only use 5 lbs per batch, so 5o lbs of a few different grains would be too much.

Hope this helps.

Ok I am thinking i just brewed my last 2 batches of Extract beer.. The pale/ipa 10 gal 1.065 OG cost $72 for the extracts and extra $5 for the specility grains $14 for yeast Wyeast 1056 2 packs and the hops $.29 an oz with 10oz =$2.90 total $93.9 not including the 4oz for dry hopping..If i could get that under $50 for 10 gal i would be STOKED!

All grain wort is cheaper then extract wort. You could safely say that AG is half the price as extract. But the only price differance between the two method is in the wort. The hops, yeast, etc... are all the same cost.

Where do you get hops for .29 an oz?

If you have some house favorites or regulars you can REALLY cut the cost even compared to other AG brewers.

You should be able to brew nearly ANY style for under $50 for 10g. Only batch I spent more than 50 bucks on since I have been AG brewing 13.5 gal batches was a Pumpkin ale where I bought the whole pumpkins.

These days: Cheap.
I buy my 2-row in bulk now ($0.83/pound)
I also buy hops in bulk from hopsdirect ($0.75/lb after shipping)
I typically use US-05 and S-04 yeast which is $3.49 a pack.

Any of my 1.045-1.055 gravity, lightly hoped ales come in around $15 a batch or so. My Pale Ales run about $18-20 depending on which hops and my last IPA cost about $24 due to a variety of hops.

Buying in bulk is absolutely the way to go if you have a grain mill. Buying hops in bulk is also absolutely the way to go if you have a vacuum sealer and freezer space.

I'm always curious what other homebrewers are paying per batch. whether it be 5 gallons at a time or more. what is the average per batch for your homebrewing?

About $20 and a small piece of my soul.

I think a Zombie from a Bruce Campbell movie once said "I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL, I'LL SWALLOW YOUR SOUL!!!!!!". I think of this everytime I let someone else drink some of my precious homebrew.

Just brewed another Black IPA with 10 oz of hops, new yeast, partial mash and the total was $44. I think that's about my average. I like big beers and lots of hops. Bulk hops are key!

I figure $20-25/5 gal for base costs and I get a lot made for exactly that. Probably 80% grain but I use some dry extract here and there to make up shortages and do starters. Buy hops cheap, and usually go for 3 runs on a pack of Wyeast. Mid weight beers, but my extraction sucks a bit so usually go a bit heavy on the grain. Didn't figure gas costs so add $2-3, paying $12 per small tank.

Doing 5 gal. extract batches with an OG in the neighbor hood of 1.060, I usually spend ~$45 per batch.

that was for Nugget hops...
.29 cents per oz Willamette 4.7% alpha
.39 cents per oz Cascade 5.7% alpha
.59 cents per oz Chinook 11.0% alpha
.33 cents per oz Nuggets 12.8% alpha
.60 cents per oz Galena 12.0% alpha
.33 Cents per oz Millennium 14.5% alpha
I got 13#s total and shipping UPS ground was something like $14
I got them direct from Willamette Valley Hops their website doesnt portray the discounted pricing but their facebook profile does..
If your on facebook use this for profile id
facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000977055084
Tell them that you heard it from Jonathan
Or you can email Paul directly
[email protected]
and he will take care of you..

All grain wort is cheaper then extract wort. You could safely say that AG is half the price as extract. But the only price differance between the two method is in the wort. The hops, yeast, etc... are all the same cost.

Where do you get hops for .29 an oz?

Back