Autosiphon to bottling wand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryansanders

Reaction score
Any reason one shouldn't just bottle straight from the auto siphon out of the primary? Will liquid continue to flow if it starts and stops? I guess I'll pick up some extra trub by skipping bottling bucket.. Is that the only downside?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You can bulk prime with sugar in a bottling bucket. If you tried to mix in sugar in the primary, you are going to whip up all the trub and yeast that has settled out.

I did a few sessions without a bottling bucket and will never go back!

Not sure you would want to add priming sugar and mix with all of the trub in primary.

Could always use carbing/conditioning tabs if you REALLY don't want to use a bottling bucket. But the bucket was my preferred method before I started kegging.

Yep, I prefer bottling bucket as well. Just wondered if that was a thing folks did :) thanks!

I used a bottling bucket once. I didn’t care for it. Too much splashing.

I wouldn’t bottle out of primary, that sounds like a recipe for bottle bombs.

I add the priming sugar solution to a carboy, then rack into it with a gentle swirl. Then it’s siphon and bottling wand into bottles.

Way better than a stupid bottling bucket.

I don't understand how racking to a bottling bucket causes any more splashing than racking to a carboy?

I just let the tube coming off the autosiphon rest in the bottom of the bucket and it flows very smoothly, no splashing, it just makes a gentle swirl that helps mix the priming sugar solution.

I add the priming sugar solution to a carboy, then rack into it with a gentle swirl. Then it’s siphon and bottling wand into bottles.

What particular property of your bottling bucket caused splashing that is not encounter when using a carboy?

It sounds as though you are using the bottling "vessel" concept, just with a syphon rather than a spigot.

Yeah, interested to hear the difference here too!

The difference is the wand versus the spigot. The stupid spigot fills from the top and splashes into the bottle.

The wand fills from the bottom. No splashing, much less oxidation.

I take the first bit when the siphon glugs, and add it to the last bit when the siphon glugs. I mark the cap and drink it first. There’s a definite difference.

I am just imagining the mess someone would make bottling from the spigot with no wand. Yow.

However I will say I am sick of the little air inlet hole on my bottling bucket's spigot when you turn it all the way open instead of half open. I get that it's there so you can empty a line, but what an awful feature. I have tape over it now, but I'm about to silicone the thing up.

Why is there a need to siphon from a bottling bucket. I would have thought that the port and spigot from a bottling bucket allows you to add a hose to the spigot and so empty the bucket from the bottom. If you filled the bottling bucket from a carboy in order to fill bottles then there would be no lees (or trub) in that bucket at that time. What am I missing?

I do both wine and beer, and for years I used the autosiphon and bottling wand with my wines, and first couple of batches of homebrewing. I decided to spend the 13 bucks for a 6 gallon bucket with a spigot. A little trick I learned is to attach a short piece of clear tubing to the spigot, which prevents splashing. When the bottle is full, close the spigot and withdraw the bottle, and there is just the right amount of head space. I do about 150 bottles of wine a year, and using the bottling bucket made that chore a heck of a lot easier too.

Now imagine how much easier it could be if you had a bottling wand attached to the tube, with the tube still attached to the spigot.

I find the best is to rack to the bottling bucket, put the siphon hose to the bottom along the outside and pointed to the side. Add the priming solution while the beer swirls in. ou get a good mix so all the beer is primed evenly.

Place the bucket on a table. Take a 1 -1 1/2 inch section of tubing and put it on the spigot and insert the bottling wand in the other end of the tubing. Raise a bottle until the beer fills it then cap. IMO by far the easiest way.

Besides kegging that is.

I do kind of want to make a bottling bucket with the spigot on the bottom, so I can hang it from the rafters by the handle and bottle without tilting. I have an irrational hate for the tilting you have to do at the end, I always wind up balancing something precariously and filling the last bottle with air bubble foam.

Of course, you could never put it on the ground when full, so... yes, this would make more mess than it solves, I guarantee. But I still want it.

I do kind of want to make a bottling bucket with the spigot on the bottom, so I can hang it from the rafters by the handle and bottle without tilting. I have an irrational hate for the tilting you have to do at the end, I always wind up balancing something precariously and filling the last bottle with air bubble foam.

Of course, you could never put it on the ground when full, so... yes, this would make more mess than it solves, I guarantee. But I still want it.

Sounds like you need a dip tube on the inside of the spigot! The syphon effect normally draws up the last of the beer nicely

Oh. Yeah. Kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that, but did think of an insane bucket you can't set on the ground.

that's pretty much my method, I rack to a "bottling 4 liter water jug" with my priming sugar and then move my siphon over to that and attach the bottling wand to the end to fill bottles.

one problem, I do 1 gallon batches, and the plastic jug is outweighed by the autosiphon, so it likes to fall over near the end. I either need to rack to a glass jug, or find some other way of securing it or weighing it down.

Oh. Yeah. Kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that, but did think of an insane bucket you can't set on the ground.

Hey you got me thinking about some crazy Rube Goldberg Bottling setup!

Who can come up with the most steps between bucket an bottle!

I use a piece of sanitized hose that attaches to the spigot, and goes to the bottom of the bottle. I fill it to the top of the neck, shut off the valve and let it drain into the bottle. Perfect headspace and minimal splashing every time. It can get a little messy the last few bottles, it gets hard to tilt the bucket and operate the valve in a coordinated manner, and the last couple of bottles from the bucket are usually easiest done with a funnel. This works especially well with wine and champagne bottles the have a deep bump, (or punt as they call it) in the bottom of the bottle, where the gap is too small to operate the push valve properly.

Relax, and have a homebrew!!

Hey you got me thinking about some crazy Rube Goldberg Bottling setup!

Who can come up with the most steps between bucket an bottle!

Not Rube Goldberg but;
Fill the bottom of the bottling bucket with food grade epoxy while the bucket is tilted. This will create a false bottom that is sloped to the spigot for 100% of the beer in the bucket to the bottle.
Is there such of a thing as food grade epoxy? The filler must stay fused to bottom and sides of the bucket so there are no crevices and voids for bacteria to grow in.

Fill the bottom of the bucket with easily sanitized discs cut from plastic cutting boards to just above the height of the spigot. The discs will displace the volume of beer typically below the spigot when the bucket is a flat surface.

Use a plastic conical fermentor with the spigot at the bottom for a bottling bucket.

Silicone would work. Of course, it's insane, but I think that's the point. :)

A simple 3/4" female threaded cpvc elbow that replaces the nut on the inside of the spigot makes a great dip tube. HD carries them. I had to trim the down end a bit. It leaves about 1/16" of beer and left over sediment in the bottom of the bucket. There is no need to tilt at all.

I'll leave the Rube Coldberg engineering to others!

Back