Automatic sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stieg000

Reaction score
So I built a sparge arm with a verticle float switch controlling a relay to turn my pump on. It fills in about 5 seconds. What I'm looking for is a way to automatically turn it off if the pump runs longer, say 10sec or so. Any ideas on a time relay that would accomplish this?

I need a relay that is normally closed until it senses voltage for more than 10 or so seconds causing it to open. This is to make my auto sparge shut off when the pump runs out of water in the HLT.

I put a float switch in my HLT to shut off the pump when the sparge volume has been transferred to the MT.

I put a float switch in my HLT to shut off the pump when the sparge volume has been transferred to the MT.

I never thought about that but it would be simple. Do you have a picture of your setup?

You can also put an adjustable float in the BK and set it to turn off once the volume is hit. As long as you know it’s set below the full volume of the sparge, it should be fine.

Another way is to use a grant with two floats. Once the grant fills, both floats are up and the pump is turned on. Once the grant empties, the bottom float turns off and the pump shuts off until it’s full again with both floats up. This method gets almost all the liquid from the tun plus it helps avoid a stuck sparge.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SCoISOpTdAQ[/ame]

Back