Automated temp control suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhedrick83

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking to add automated temp control for my fermentation chamber. Here’s my current set up:

inkbird 308 temp controller uses the integrated probe attached to the outside of the fermenter to monitor the temp. Inkbird seed mat Velcroed to the fermenter for heat and in an insignia chest freezer for cooling. Temp changes are all manual. I always put a Tilt in the fermenter and it currently gets read by an old IPhone that sits on the freezer when in use.

What is like to have is some way to have set and forget fermentation “profiles”. For example, if I want to brew a Dubbel, I can pick that style and it automatically makes the temp adjustments I set at the times I set (ie, 0-24 hours 65F, 24-48 hours 65-68F, etc) and have a different profile for other styles, Altbier, stout, etc. Tilt integration would be a plus for sure as I like to be able to track the progress.

Since I’d be starting from scratch, I didn’t know what would be the best way to go about this. I know there some options out there like BrewPi and Fermentrack, etc. My familiarity with Pi only extends to having make a RetroPi several years ago. I usually can get the hang of things quickly but I stay pretty busy so keeping this as foolproof and reliable as possible would probably be keys. I see the giant threads on BrewPi, BrewPi remix, fermentrack, etc and I’m not sure where to start with some of the threads as I don’t know how much is in date and what the best practice is at the moment. Suggestions?

One obvious option if you're comfortable with the Inkbird is to upgrade to the ITC-310T-B which allows you to program 12 temperature steps.

Just added the ITC 308 WIFI and a 25W fish tank heater under the fermenter for heat. Works okay for two glass carboys or one bucket. Covered with a dark sweat shirt. Just used a box fan for the cooling if needed but in the winter the room is in the low 60's. (Put 1" Styrofoam with foil covering between floor and heater.)
In the past for summer I would put my fermenter in a garden tub with 6-8" water, wrap a large towel around the fermenter to wick water, like the swamp cooler effect. The temp would stay about 4-6 degrees lower than the room temp.
Now that I have the Inkbird 308 does anyone have suggestions for cooling in the summer? I just want to find a step between my old swamp cooler and using a fridge. ( I don't have space for a second fridge.)

Back