Autolysis using WLP665?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmeowsalot

Reaction score
I brewed a Flanders Red a bit over a year ago, made a starter using only WLP665. The primary fermentation took off, enough where I had to place a blow-off tube. Now back when I brewed this I didn't have much knowledge about autolysis.

Which means I brewed it, threw it in a glass carboy and basically forgot about it. It's been about 1.3 years since brew day and I have not transferred said beer. About a 8 months ago I realized I could have messed up by leaving the beer in the primary. Regardless I left it, and up until recently I didn't mess with it.

It still has a pretty intense pellicle, and I recently had a taste. It doesn't taste like it has autolysis (I think), it's sour but not overly, at least not to what I would like.

WLP665 is suppose to be a blend of sachro, lacto and pedio. My question is, with the presence of sacro in the yeast blend is it enough to cause autolysis for having been on the yeast for so long? If I didn't taste "soy sauce" recently am I safe? Should I transfer it to a secondary and let it keep aging? Or leave it be?

If you aren't getting meaty, rubber, soy sauce, or marmite flavors then you don't have autolysis. Or if you do, it's being covered by the sour Flanders flavors of your beer.

If it hasn't had a bad effect yet, maybe it's better to let it lie until you are ready to do something with it.

brett is also in that blend and is believed to metabolize the compounds from autolysis so its not really a concern in sours

Good to hear, especially since I was considering tossing it for a while.

Thanks for the help!

Back