Auto syphon issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captainfester

Master of the Seas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I use my aphonyphon to rack the beer. Either from primary to secondary or secondary to bottling bucket. My auto syphon draws a lot of bibles through the tube. No matter how deep it is.

I'm not sure if it's drawing co2 from the beer although how could there be co2 if it's not under pressure?

Or is it drawing o2 through the top tube. If so that seems bad. As little bubbles are constanly being mixed into the beer.

Thoughts or tips?

I wouldn't worry about it..... When I rack with a traditional racking cane I get lots of little bubbles in the cane and in my tubing...... It has never effected my beer. It's most likely c02 being released from the yeast cake and what little bit is infused in the beer.

Captainfester said:
When I use my aphonyphon to rack the beer. Either from primary to secondary or secondary to bottling bucket. My auto syphon draws a lot of bibles through the tube. No matter how deep it is.

I'm not sure if it's drawing co2 from the beer although how could there be co2 if it's not under pressure?

Or is it drawing o2 through the top tube. If so that seems bad. As little bubbles are constanly being mixed into the beer.

Thoughts or tips?

This happened to me.

Try this...get water or Starsan and start auto siphon. Pour a small amount of liquid into the plunger housing the big tube. If the bubbles stop and the liquid you poured in starts to disappear, you are drawing air past the plunger and aerating the crap out of your beer.
This happened to me brand new from day one. I bought a second one and it passed the test. I use the leaker for brew kettle to fermentor only now.

I had one that did the same thing. I used a turkey baster and grabbed a little beer and squirted in in the tube above the plunger. Problem solved.

Mine has a small leak at the connection between tubing and racking cane in the siphon tube, a little manual pressure or keg lube takes care of it.

...My auto syphon draws a lot of bibles through the tube...

Perhaps it is trying to convert you? ;) You may be sucking air at your hose connection. Try using a smaller ID hose. Or stick a worm clamp on there (carefully) and it should seal up.

I had the same issue repeatedly. I finally got a stainless steel racking cane with a 3/8" hose. I use a turkey baster and can start a siphon in one squeeze and no more air bubbles. I'm done with the auto-siphon.

Perhaps it is trying to convert you? ;) You may be sucking air at your hose connection. Try using a smaller ID hose. Or stick a worm clamp on there (carefully) and it should seal up.

Bastard auto syphon. Always judging and trying to force it's beliefs upon me!

Thanks for the help guys.

I have always gotten a lot of bubbles where the hose connects to the siphon. I've found that if I pinch it there it seems to get rid of them.

Back