Auto-Siphon Pros and Cons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to me that I got a long fine before I learned about the auto-siphon.

I broke my auto-siphon when cleaning it. The little plastic piece (I guess you may call it a valve) popped out. I had used it 4 times I think.

Now I just fill a cane and hose with water and clamp it. Place the cane (with one of those black tips) in the beer and let the clamp go. This has only changed slightly since I have started brewing. We used to just use hose.

I guess i use one of those red clips to hold the racking cane in place.

Aside from the desire to own as many gadgets as possible, which I share, why use an auto-siphon?

I had the EXACT same problem, Mine didn't work out of the package the valve just kept popping out. I called fermatech and they sent me a replacement valve its golden now. This is a problem that they have, The guy I talked to said about one in 1000 have the valve problem. He explained that they are attempting to find the source of the problem and asked that I return the defective valve to them. If the failure rate is that low it will be difficult to track down the problem.

How do they melt? At what point would you be siphoning hot wort, or boiling water with them? Who wants to hold onto a SS racking tube with liquid that is hot enough to melt plastic??

I've had mine 2 years. Love it.

Although, if I used carboys, the carboy cap thing is just as good.

I've had mine for years, no infections. I have had the problem with hose fitment at the racking cane, but if you soak the end of the hose in hot water, you can slide it up pretty far on the cane and have no leaks. The seal on mine is not as good after all these years, so I think I will retire mine and get a fresh one. I may go for a 1/2" model but I mostly use it to rack from carboy to keg so 1/2" would be of little advantage.
I have read that it's better to store the cane outside of the tube, to keep the seal from developing memory. I'll try that with my next one.
Mine usually soaks in idaphor for a while before I use it, and I pump the solution through it, and back into the tube and around the tube to circulate the santizer everywhere.

I've thought about trying to build one using SS or copper, but had not started yet. I'm still trying to decide if it's easier to build a metal autosiphon, or devise a siphon starting device that can go inline instead.

What I do like about an autosiphon is that you can use it to distribute starsan to different points quickly and easily, as well as transferring wort. I can send starsan through my CFC in a few pumps. probably faster to fill the CFC than to get another device started.

Repeated exposure to hot tap water is enough to cause the auto-siphon to crack over time. I had 2 turn brittle before I realized my hot tap water was the cause. I have been more aware of what temps I run through it and my 3rd looks like new.

Linc

I'll never buy an autosiphon again until they make them more durable. I've gone through two of them, with about 2 beers apiece. I switched to a short piece of fatter tubing that goes over the end of the tube from the steel racking can, suck on it, then pull it off when it starts flowing.

Autosiphons are horrendously flimsy and I think it's intentional, like they do with cell phones. One of them was cleaned and sitting the in the sink to dry, came back the next morning and it was developing hairline cracks all up and down the outer tube.

I know this thread is kinda stale but I have gone through 2 auto siphons in one year. I think the older ones (that people have had for a very long time) may have been better quality. For mine, both died with the valve popping out numerous times. I was able to get the valve back in but then the clips on the valve piece get weak and it becomes a constant problem and eventually the clips break and the valve is useless.

I have to rack an IPA over to secondary later this week so instead of rush ordering a siphon, I am going to try out the carboy cap method. I love the ease and simplicity of the autosiphon, but they really need to come up with a more durable solution.

Carboy cap method: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/siphoning-carboy-cap-2910/

Back