Austin's purple haze clone kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouperdude

Reaction score
Ok I bought a purple haze kit along with a wort chiller and an oxygenator. It comes with and ounce of two different hops. The recipe calls for only a half of an ounce of each.. My only question is how much would it affect the flavor if I boiled both ounces. I don't have any real way to keep the pellets and it seems a little wasteful to trash em.

Depends what flavor you want. You didn't indicate what variety of hops, so I don't know the AA's, but assuming it is one bittering and one aroma variety, or both mild hops, I would split it up to 60, 30, 15, 0 to balance out the bitterness and flavor to stay consistent with recipe, just more....but then again, I don't hesistate to go with a pound plus in my IPA's...so I like hop flavor.

Put them in a ziplock bag and toss them in the freezer. Better yet if you own a food saver....

I would leave the recipe as is. If you really like purple haze and want to clone it, doubling the hops will throw it off.

I guess I would concur with the ziplock option....I didn't know it was a fruit beer...

ya its the only one that the girl and I both like. the hops are ht hood and chinook. I left them out just in case Austin's didn't want me to post it.

Back