Austin All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC_McMic

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I've been getting a lot of good information off of the site recently, and I figured I would sign up.

I'm just about to start all-grain brewing. I've been doing mini-mash for a few years now. I'm actually expecting my 7 cu ft chest freezer to arrive sometime today, which is going to be pulling double duty as both a fermenter and keezer. Until such time as it annoys me that I can't brew even more beer, I plan to brew two beers at a time, ferment them in the freezer using a Johnson Controls analog temp controller, and then turn down the temp once the beers are kegged and carbonated.

I bought the chest freezer because it isn't "financially viable" to keep my entire house anywhere near 70° F during the spring/summer/autumn in Austin, TX. I currently have an IPA in the secondary fermenter, and the house has been hitting 85° during the day, and I decided that enough was enough... that's not good at all for the beer.

Also ordered and on the way: 10-gallon Igloo cooler and false bottom. I still need to order the other fittings, but I think I'm going to need:

1/2" MPT x 3/8" SS barb elbow (for the false bottom)
2x SS lock nuts (for the false bottom)
3-piece 1/2" NPT SS ball valve
2x 1/2" MPT x 3/8" SS hose barb
1/2" weld-less SS bulkhead
5' of 3/8" thermal tubing

Am I missing anything for my mash tun? I've been staring at parts for days wondering if I'm missing or misunderstanding anything.

Anyway, nice to meet y'all.

edit to flesh out my intro a bit:

I like brewing a lot of IPAs and Saisons or any sort of farmhouse ale. I guess you could say I enjoy hoppy, yeasty or hoppy and yeasty ales. Maybe I'll try out a few lagers now that I'll have a fermenter, though!

My wife is also into fermenting various things. She's currently making mead, she makes kombucha, and she ferments various peppers and veggies. They're all delicious.

Hello fellow Austinite. I made the mash tun with SS hose and ripped out the middle, as seen on UTube. The 1 thing I recommend is to use tubing that is 1/16th less diameter then the fittings. When you run the hot wort through the tubing, it can expand causing air to be drawn in thus air bubbles. Use 5/16in tubing for 3/8in fitting. If you run the tubing under hot water first, it will soften up to slip easier on the barb. Hop this helps. Best wishes!

Back