Auber EZ boil temp readings drifting/failure question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been brewing along happily with electric rig with Auber cube. Last two batches I noticed some variation in temp read outs in mash and boil modes. Mainly reading temperature too high. During boil mode today the reading moved up to 240s, when clearly it was at 212. When heating strike water in mash mode earlier, I had to manually raise setting to achieve desired temp.

Also noticed power came back on and started to boil wort even with % power at 0, not sure if that is related. I never completely trust it to stay off, so elements are disconnected when liquid level lowered, which is a good thing, it turns out.

I am using this with two different sensors, and I did try my spare temp sensor wire, and symptoms the same. The readings will generally go back to more or less correct if I turn unit off & on again. This is not the adjustable calibration, readout seems to be floating around.

Theoretically, I think this is still under warranty, as have had for less than a year. Brewed about 20 batches with it. I can run it manually so far, but seems to be getting further off. Is this about to crash? Is this likely the EZ boil failing or some other component?

Thanks

A couple things. The EZ Boil could indeed be going bad. Both probes being flaky seems unlikely, but perhaps not impossible.

Finally, you might have some sort of ground loop that is creating interference with the temperature input. That option also seems less likely. I would expect that to create a continuous error, not one that is behaving like you described.

You could explore the ground loop theory further by disconnecting the EZ boil from your panel wiring and powering it independently from a 120 volt cord plugged into a wall socket.

At this point, I think I would be exercising the warranty option to rule out the EZBoil

Are your temp sensors connected thru any kind of connector? I would check the connections in the controller side connector, and the connections to the EZBoil. These are the locations that could have issues that would give you problems with multiple temp sensors. It's also possible that the EZBoil itself is having issues. I would rule out connector/connection issues before pursuing a warranty claim.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks, I did open it up and check the connectoins, as well as trying a new cable.

I just got off the phone w someone from Auber. The person I spoke with says the temperature reading variations don't happen in their experience. She wants me to take a video of the temp changing and send it to them. Not particularly convenient, but will try.

Person I spoke with did not seem like english was their first language, and maybe not suited to customer interface job.

Hey Dland,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I’m having similar issues. Temp seems to read ok for a while but then goes way high, most notably during the boil where I too was getting readings of around 240.

Thanks Holmes. I plan on opening it up next chance I get. This controller doesn’t see a whole lot of action lately and it doesn’t get moved around a lot but I wouldn’t doubt that since I built it myself there might be a loose connection.

If you have electrical solder and a fairly fine iron/gun, you can often repair the cables yourself. If you have an ohm meter, you can check wire continuity. It never hurts to have a spare though, in case wire fails mid brew.

Good idea. I just checked continuity with my multimeter and didn’t find any issues. Also plugged the cable into the controller and tested continuity from the cable to the EZ boil in case it was the panel jack and again no issues. I did clean all the contacts on the temp probe and the female end of the cable so hoping that helps. Running a test now.

Well, the test went fine in mashing mode. Started at 130F and increased in increments of 10 degrees, making sure temps stabilized and stayed that way for at least 10 minutes each time., all the way to 180F.

Then I switched to boil mode and things started out well but after it hit the boil it again started creeping up over 212F. At about 224F all I did was press the knob in a couple times and it started reading correctly again. Had to be some kind of loose connection so I hit the top of the controller to see if it would go wonky again which it did....really wonky....like reading -147F and jumping all over.

At that point I unplugged everything and opened the controller back up. There were no apparent loose connection but I went ahead and disconnected all the wires from the EZ Boil, popped out the EZ Boil, and blew canned air into it in case anything had built up inside. I reconnected everything, trying to make the internal wiring a bit more neat, and plugged back in.

At that point it seemed like it was working fine. I'm going to test it out some more tomorrow to see if it's truly fixed but this is some weird stuff. I'd hate to think the controller is at fault but if anyone has any other ideas I'm listening.

Just a quick update. I brewed yesterday and had no issues. I guess tightening the connections and maybe blowing out the controller worked.

I have an Auber Cube clone. If I jiggle the connection for the temperature probe going into the kettle the temperature reading with start to vary, sometimes by hundreds of degrees. I took apart the connector on the wire that plugs into the kettle and the solder connections seem fine. It seems that the problem may be with the connector but I can't be sure. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Thanks

The only thing I can recommend is cleaning the connections with some canned air and contact cleaner. If all the solder looks good then it's possible some dirt/dust/gunk has built up in the female end. I'm not an electrical expert but contact cleaner has worked wonders for me on several devices since I discovered it.

I'll try that. I'll have to order some off of Amazon. I did clean the male end with rubbing alcohol but have no good way the clean the other end with what I had.

I'll try that. I'll have to order some off of Amazon. I did clean the male end with rubbing alcohol but have no good way the clean the other end with what I had.
The other thing about connectors. The plug needs to fit snugly in the socket, and this requirement needs to be met for each pin/socket pair in the connector. Pressure between the mating surfaces is required to get low and consistent contact resistance. Also, a snug fit pin-to-socket gives you a wiping action when the two halves are connected. The wiping helps remove surface oxides for lower contact resistance. If you have inconsistent contact resistance, your temp measurements will be all over the place.

That's what I originally thought the problem might be. It seems to me that the female end of the connection is what provides the pressure. If the cleaner doesn't help I think I may replace the female connector which is on the wire that connects the controller to the kettle on the kettle side.

That's what I originally thought the problem might be. It seems to me that the female end of the connection is what provides the pressure. If the cleaner doesn't help I think I may replace the female connector which is on the wire that connects the controller to the kettle on the kettle side.
Yes, if the female half of the connector pair (the socket) gets loose, then you don't get a good pressure contact.

Back