Auber Digital SSR Power Regulator for Wort Boiling Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalnx

Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these? I was looking at the SSVR40A at first, but then saw this right below it.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=444

I want to build a panel with one PID for HLT, and a knob controlled variable control for the Boil. With the SSVR40A,http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=353 I was planning on going through a 25A contactor from the SSR. With the digital version running in burst mode, it says it is not suitable for the situation where an SSR is used to control electromechanical relays. Does that mean you should just run it through a 40 amp SSR with a large heat sink instead of a SSR and contactor? Or even run each leg of the 240volt through dual SSR's and heat sinks, then right to the heating element?

Second, maybe someone can set me strait here if I'm wrong. The way I understand the need or desire to have a contactor between a SSR and the heating element, is just to break both legs of the 240volt line at the same time.

I'm looking into using the same controller.

With the digital version running in burst mode, it says it is not suitable for the situation where an SSR is used to control electromechanical relays.

You'll have no problems going controller -> SSR -> contactor as long as you're just using the contactor as an on-off switch controlled by a button or toggle.

Second, maybe someone can set me strait here if I'm wrong. The way I understand the need or desire to have a contactor between a SSR and the heating element, is just to break both legs of the 240volt line at the same time.

This is correct. Additionally, as SSRs fail closed, you maintain the ability to completely shut off the element by having a switch-controlled contactor.

I presently use one of these controllers for my boil kettle and only use the controller and SSR to power my element. In this particular instance I am not sure of the benefit a contact relay adds to the process besides a layer of complication. These SSR's with a heat sink are more than capable of dealing with the power requirements of the typical home brewer setup. Even for my RIMS setup I omitted the relay for a simple SSR circuit. I may add one with my next revision of "The Box" but all works well without them.

Back