Attenuation of Mead with Wyeast 4632?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KilhavenBrew

Reaction score
I brew beer and want to do a mead for fun and variety.

If I start with 16 lbs of honey for 5 gallons.

And no other sugars.

What attenuation should i expect using Wyeast 4632. They say Attenuation NA. Gee that is helpful. I wonder why they say that?

Best choice for dry mead. Used in many award winning meads. Low foaming with little or no sulfur production. Use additional nutrients for mead making.

Origin: France
Flocculation: Low-medium
Attenuation: NA
Temperature Range: 55-75°F, 13-24°C
Alcohol Tolerance: 18% ABV

Well I'd like to help, but as I have no idea what you're alluding to, or what info you're actually after, you'll have to pardon my ignorance.......

if i understand it right, attenuation is how much suger it can convert to alcohol. so the alcohol tolerance is the same thing.

Attenuation is the percentage of the original wort/must that is/can be converted to EtOH by the yeast...it's not exactly the same thing as tolerance, and the yeast strain is only one variable in what the actual attenuation of your brew ends up being...this is all assuming your talking beer though. The attenuation values are useful only for comparing yeasts acting on the same wort, and aren't exactly "set in stone" values. When brewing beer (especially all grain) there are a host of other variables that affect the fermentability of the wort (temperatures, etc), and will thus affect attenuation.

It's an essentially irrelevant number in mead, as the medium is generally 100% fermentable sugars. If you check Wyeast's other "mead" strain (4184 Sweet Mead) it also lists the attenuation as N/A.

Edit: to think of it another way, what tweake said is partially true -- to be more exact, the attenuation of any yeast being used to make mead is 100%, up to the yeast's alcohol tolerance, at which point it will "poop out." The apparent attenuation will then depend on how much residual sugar there is....

Yes, the attenuation will be nearly 100% up to 18% ABV if it is well managed with proper nutrients, aeration, temperature and pH control. If you use 16 pounds of honey in 5 gallons you should get a bone-dry batch with about 15% ABV. The final gravity should be somewhere below 0.999.

Yes, the attenuation will be nearly 100% up to 18% ABV if it is well managed with proper nutrients, aeration, temperature and pH control. If you use 16 pounds of honey in 5 gallons you should get a bone-dry batch with about 15% ABV. The final gravity should be somewhere below 0.999.

Yes

Back