Attempting a big fudge batter mouthfeel stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew a big boy stout. I want something with that same "fudgey" mouthfeel associated with Side Project's Derivation series. I want the big booze beautifully blended with the soft, sweet mouthfeel and deep chocolate flavor (lets avoid "that's what she said" jokes, god knows i have to) of those great stouts.

This is my first crack at it, so i wanted to consult some of the greatest homebrew minds i know.

Anyways...here is my beta test.
6gal batch
Mash 157F
Boil time 3hr
OG 1.130
FG 1.040
ABV 13.3
SRM 71
IBU 50

20# Golden Promise
2# caramunich
2# flaked barley
1.5# chocolate malt
1# c120
1# carafe special II
1# crisp brown malt
0.75# roasted barley
0.50# lactose

Fermented with either WLP001 or WLP002.

1oz columbus @ 90
0.5oz columbus @ 20

thoughts or suggestions on modifications needed to achieve my flavor profile?

Thanks in advance!

Id toss in half pound of flaked oats for mouthfeel and lingering sweetness. Sounds fantastic. Id do WLP001.

Recipe looks pretty good. Second the oats. You might find my experience with a Smoked Honey Imperial Porter informative (similar finishing gravity, is the big one).

WLP001 is the same as US-05, right? I'd personally throw in like three satchets, aerate, and order a pack of CBC-1 to have as a backup, based on my experience.

Makes sense. I was purposefully leaving out oats to avoid the oil slick like mouthfeel it can leave, but for the sake of complexity and the added sweetness/body it is probably worth it.

Probably lower the caramunich to 1.5# and add in the 0.5# Flaked oats.

Also, it is probably worth noting that current I am planning on adding cocoa nibs into the boil and secondary (4oz) and vanilla beans (4-6 beans) and bourbon soaked oak cubes (4oz cubes, dry weight) into the secondary.

I like the added oats idea, too. You have a couple choices.
Cereal mash cheaper store bought oats and save cash, or use some of the more expensive Simpsons Naked Golden oats. This is a brand of oat my LBHS carries and I'm dying for an excuse to use them in a porter or stout myself.

Did a little streamlining of the recipe, I think it is looking pretty tasty, Got rid of some of the roasted malts and upped a few of the grains that will lend themselves to more body.

20# Golden Promise
2# Flaked Barley (toasted)
1.5# Caramunich
1.5# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 120
1# Carafa Special II
1# Lactose
0.75# Roasted Barley
0.5# Flaked Oats (Toasted)

Back