Attempted Rescue: What should I expect?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punbrewing

Reaction score
A week ago m roommate started a hef (im not going to embarrass myself with a speling attempt). No fermentation happened, no bubbles in the air lock no signs that the yeast was doing its job.

I had some champagne yeast on had from a 1/2 gal cider experiment i was doing and we threw that in (after activating it).

Any Ideas on what is going to happen, barring any contamination. personally i figure it will be more alcoholic then originally intended, but i was wondering more on flavors and such.

did you check the gravity before repitching?

champagne yeast will mainly go for simple sugars and won't give you the phenols/esters that a hef yeast normally will that defines the style

You shouldn't get any additional flavors from the champagne yeast. The champagne yeast is a good neutral yeast.

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! Bubble watcher in the area! :p

I might be the 1,000,000th person to say this on this site, but airlock activity is NOT any indication of fermentation. Period. I have had Wyeast 3711 (French Saison, a ravenous krausen forming fermenting machine) form no krausen, yet dried my peach saison out from 1.060 to 1.009 in 4 days.

You really need to take gravity readings if anyone's going to take your inquiries seriously. Without gravity readings, our advice is simple conjecture. If you provided an OG and a current gravity, the forum may be more helpful and get more hits.

Back