Attempt 2 for advice on brown sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kypher

Reaction score
I posted an idea for a new "big" beer earlier this week and didn't get any responses, so I will rephrase the question.

I want to do a beer that's between 12 and 15% ABV, using apple, cinnamon, brown sugar, and a nice dark roasty beer for a base.

My idea was to start with something simple, malty and roasty...then do the apple/cinnamon/brown sugar concoction on top of it. Middle of the road ale yeast--then finish with a champagne yeast to make sure all the sugar gets used.

Ideas? Thoughts? Angry retorts?

Why not just use one of those high alcohol tolerant yeast strains? And use something concentrated for apple component - that is, not fresh apple flesh, but cider or apple molasses...

You're better off with the two step process outlined above unless you really like the deep estery flavors of a Belgian strong.

I get great results from a multi-step ferment with a typical ale yeast for the first 8~9% ABV then using a Strong Ale yeast for the finish to 14-16%. Champagne yeast works well also, but will impart less flavor and character to the finished product.

oh, and rack between the fermentations... it'll be cleaner and no risk of the strong yeast cannibalizing the weaker ale yeast cake. A lot of people are getting away from secondary and tertiary fermenter usage, but this is one of those special cases where it's pretty important.

Ok, thanks for the advice. So instead of using fresh apples I'd use just a standard, like, treetop apple cider type of a deal? Throw that in the boil for 15 minutes or so? From what I've read I think that the apple flavor is something I really want to experiment with, but brown sugar is probably something I'd be better off avoiding. Instead of brown sugar I'll use molasses. Two stage ferment, nix the champagne yeast in favor of strong ale yeast (can you give me a good example of one?), and....bob's your uncle?

White labs has a few Belgian varieties that will handle a 15-16% ABV brew... WLP530 would be a nice choice for a mellow flavor in this size beer.

Check WhiteLabs.com they have good descriptions. You are looking for Alcohol tolerance of High.

They also have a super high gravity ale yeast that can keep chugging along up to 25% ABV - hallelujah. But that has a very estery profile, i would reserve use only for a 3 separate fermentation brew.

Latest posts

Back