At what watt density do grains scorch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefost

Reaction score
Short Version: How many watts per square inch does it take to scorch grains?

Long Version: I currently have 4 small heating elements in my boil kettle that are about 800W @ 120V. I'm considering boil in a bag now, so my boil kettle would become my mash tun as well, and I want to use those elements to maintain the correct mash temperature. I may or may not use a false bottom, but either way I want to make sure any grain that escapes the bag doesn't scorch.

Right now my four elements are around 35 watts per square inch, so ULWD. I'm wondering if this watt density is low enough to not scorch the grains. My guess is that it will scorch, but I'm not sure.

Another idea I think would to be to wire two pairs of elements in series. I believe that will lower the wattage by a factor of 4, giving me a watt density of about 9W/in^2. I would only have 800 watts total in my mash tun split between the four elements, and while that wouldn't be great for step mashes, it would be fine for maintaining mash temperature.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if 35W/in^2 or 9W/in^2 are acceptable watt densities to eliminate scorching.

IMO, If you're recirculating during the mash, there shouldn't be any issues with scorching. Scorching typically happens when there's no flow and the heat gets concentrated.

Latest posts

Back