Astringent beer - possible to save?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_man

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I think I know how I screwed this beer up. It was an American Wheat Kit. my son wanted to add some sweet orange to it. We probably added too much of the sweet orange to it, which was added to the latter part of the boil. But I think more importantly the screwup occurred well into fermentation and probably after the initial burst of fermention, The fermenter was shaken up to reactivate. I know, I know, bad bad practice. The brown hefe, I'm fairly certain is what's causing this astringency. But now what? Is there anyway to salvage this? Is there anyway to counteract that so we have a drinkable beer?

Okay, I think I know how I screwed this beer up. It was an American Wheat Kit. my son wanted to add some sweet orange to it. We probably added too much of the sweet orange to it, which was added to the latter part of the boil. But I think more importantly the screwup occurred well into fermentation and probably after the initial burst of fermention, The fermenter was shaken up to reactivate. I know, I know, bad bad practice. The brown hefe, I'm fairly certain is what's causing this astringency. But now what? Is there anyway to salvage this? Is there anyway to counteract that so we have a drinkable beer?

Did you brew an American wheat or a brown hefe? Orange peel would not cause astringency.
What was your brew? What was the estimated OG? What yeast did you use? Liquid yeast with a starter or rehydrated dry yeast?
What was the pitching temperature and what was the wort temperature for the first three days of fermentation?

If your mash pH was off and you sparged too hot you may have extracted tannins

If you got too much of the white pith of the oranges you may have gotten a nasty bitterness from the pith that's coming off as astringent? Just a guess on that:)

Agitating the primary IMO to rouse the yeast wouldn't have done it

Anyway, it may mellow out with time but then again it may not

Back