Assist on a starter please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
I'm planning a brew that is scheduled to have a OG of around 1.078. I need to make a starter and will be using Wyeast 1762. Mr. Malty calls for a 3.42L starter.

Here's the question: Can I just make a 3.42L batch right off the bat, or should I make a smaller starter and step it up?

If it's best to step up what should be the size of the first start and what should be the size of the following steps as I get to 3.42L.

Just do it in as many steps as you can manage. If you can grow 1 L at a time, do that, cold crash, pour off the spent wort and repeat 3 times. Stir plates are nice, as you only need about half the volume of starter!

Just so I understand this correctly. So, you're saying make a 1 L starter, ferment, decant. Add 1L wort, ferment, decant a second time. Add 1L wort, ferment a third time. Done.

I take it then that even though the yeast count increases the amount of wort at each step does not?

Thanks for the quick response.

You are giving the yeast more sugar each time, allowing them to reproduce some more.

As to the volume at each step, it is really up to you. If you can do 2 L at a time, then that would cut the number of steps in half. If you can only do 500 ml, you'll need to do 8 steps. The smack pack will be fine going directly into 4 L or 0.5 L of 1.040 wort.

If you are going to be making a ~1gal starter, then I would just use a 1 gal jug and ferment that bad boy out. It is a lot easier than making 3 x 1L starters. Not saying that it is better in the end, but you will produce a good amount of yeast without having to worry about sanitation problems that could arise from pitching three times.

.02 done

Making a gallon straight off would definitely be best, if he can do that. Using a stir plate is also best. However, not everyone has a jug big enough, or a stir plate.

Making a gallon straight off would definitely be best, if he can do that. Using a stir plate is also best. However, not everyone has a jug big enough, or a stir plate.

Good advice. With the volume, I would agree. It's easier and safer as you say.

I've got a stir plate but only a 2L flask so have had to step up the lagers I've done to date. A 5L flask is in my future as Arizona summers and lager beer drinking season approaches.

Latest posts

Back