Assembling panel kit--parts questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After much soul-searching, I bought the Auber Instruments All-In-One BIAB Kit as a panel to finish my electric brewery.

I'm not afraid of assembling it, though the instructions are terse to say the least--it's nothing more than a 2-page wiring diagram. There are a few pictures that help identify parts but there are few things I don't understand.

Attached is a pic; I'll refer to the parts and questions from that.

parts.jpg

1. The cord grip is for the 4-wire Dryer Cord. There's a rubber cap/plug in the end, and I can't tell if I'm supposed to remove it, cut an "X" in it so the cord can pass through, or what. What's the story on this?

2. The receptacle has three spade tabs on it; do I have to use spade terminal connectors for this?

3. What am I to do with the 14 AWG wire ferrules? They look like I should slide the wire in there and crimp them, before securing under a screw in a fixture. Is that what they're for?

4. The terminal block labels--am I supposed to click them on the terminal blocks and write on them with a sharpie, or...?

5. The instructions say the design requires 10 AWG wire (got it), 14 AWG wire (got it), and 22-24 AWG wire (don't have it).

I looked at the home store and they don't carry 22 or 24 gauge wire. Is it necessary to have exactly 22 or 24 gauge wire or could I use 18 or 20? I can get 18 at the home center.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have the exact kit. Below is what I did. You can reference my build pictures in my eBIAB system thread. The link is in my signature.

1. The cord grip is for the 4-wire Dryer Cord. There's a rubber cap/plug in the end, and I can't tell if I'm supposed to remove it, cut an "X" in it so the cord can pass through, or what. What's the story on this?
I made a small x in the rubber and fed the dryer cable through.

2. The receptacle has three spade tabs on it; do I have to use spade terminal connectors for this?
Yes, I used terminal connectors that match up with these. This allows for a secure connection.

3. What am I to do with the 14 AWG wire ferrules? They look like I should slide the wire in there and crimp them, before securing under a screw in a fixture. Is that what they're for?
I omitted them honestly. I did not see a benefit, so rather than misusing them, I omitted them.

4. The terminal block labels--am I supposed to click them on the terminal blocks and write on them with a sharpie, or...?
I omitted them for my build.

5. The instructions say the design requires 10 AWG wire (got it), 14 AWG wire (got it), and 22-24 AWG wire (don't have it).

I looked at the home store and they don't carry 22 or 24 gauge wire. Is it necessary to have exactly 22 or 24 gauge wire or could I use 18 or 20? I can get 18 at the home center.
Going larger diameter wire is okay. Just do not go too large where you have to cut strands to fit into terminals or blocks.

I used this kit on my last panel... they sell it in different gauges.. the wire cost really adds up!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/22-AWG-Gau...480214&hash=item4aec82a1ea:g:ShcAAOSwDNdVuPIm

also instead of the dryer cord you might want to consider 10g so or sj wire since its much more fleaxible and has 4 conductors.. many dryer cords only have 3 and the gray cords are very stiff... Ive used both.

The wire ferruls can come in handy to prevent stray wire strands from sticking out but it all depends on your connections. We use them at work and they help. especially if your combining 2 wires at a terminal point for some reason.

I'm moving along with this, but it's slow going. I've run into a bit of a snag in that I don't know how to terminate the 240-v dryer cord wires into the contactor. (Here's what I'm talking about: https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_31&products_id=439 it's the 63 amp contactor second from the right).

Anyway, this needs some sort of ferrule to be placed over the 10-ga stranded wire from the dryer cord.

It appears this is designed for a ferrule that is crimped square, inserted into the slot, and the connection is tightened. That means I'd need to get some of these ferrules (none locally) and a crimping tool, or....

...or would a spade-terminal work for this? When I say spade terminal I mean something like this:

spadeterminal.jpg

There was a bunch of smaller ferrules for use with the 14-ga wire, can those be crimped with a normal crimping tool such as for the spade terminals, or do I have to have a crimper that produces a square crimp?

And while I'm at it--I've figured out some of this from youtube videos, but does any know of a tutorial or something that would explain some of this? It's a DIY kit, but it presumes a certain amount of prior knowledge, much of which I have, but some not.

I'm moving along with this, but it's slow going. I've run into a bit of a snag in that I don't know how to terminate the 240-v dryer cord wires into the contactor. (Here's what I'm talking about: https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_31&products_id=439 it's the 63 amp contactor second from the right).

Anyway, this needs some sort of ferrule to be placed over the 10-ga stranded wire from the dryer cord.

It appears this is designed for a ferrule that is crimped square, inserted into the slot, and the connection is tightened. That means I'd need to get some of these ferrules (none locally) and a crimping tool, or....

...or would a spade-terminal work for this? When I say spade terminal I mean something like this:

View attachment 584207

There was a bunch of smaller ferrules for use with the 14-ga wire, can those be crimped with a normal crimping tool such as for the spade terminals, or do I have to have a crimper that produces a square crimp?

And while I'm at it--I've figured out some of this from youtube videos, but does any know of a tutorial or something that would explain some of this? It's a DIY kit, but it presumes a certain amount of prior knowledge, much of which I have, but some not.
actually your best bet is to insert the bare twisted wire, or tin them. thats the way those connectors are deigned to work and you will have a better connection than the crimp connectors.
You just insert the wire into the hole and tighten the screw which crimps down on the wires by pushing a piece of metal to sandwich the wires in the hole.

I have a bunch of those contactors I just had to pull out of my panel because they are not UL listed and since its a used in a business my inspector requires them to be.

Latest posts

Back