Ask a Maltster:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxinid

Reaction score
Ok folks I am in direct contact with a few of the best in the biz.

Fire away and I will do my best to get your questions answered.

Lets see if we can answer some of the mysteries of malting.

:mug:

Who are the best in the biz? Are there any types of fungus that can attack grain that will limit foam/head? If there is, is it controlled, so that the grain doesn't end up on the market? Another question not so much about malt mystery, one that a truthful answer might not be had, is. If a malting company that supplies malt to the big boys of brewing, have a load of grain that doesn't meet the quality that the big boys want. Is the lower quality grain sold to home brewers?...I think that mysteries/variances that affect the malting process, start with Mother Nature, beginning at the time the seed is planted. Also, I'm not sure if a malster making a living off what he sells, would be too willing to part with his knowledge of malting, knowing that the info would be splattered all over the web. The MBAA and IOB have a lot of info on malting science and processes. At this time, German botanists have genetically altered barley to the point that it germinates and reaches standard modification with 11% protein in half the time of Tolar and Bojos. A road block to using the grain is the Purity Law. Thanks for your topic.

Damn Vlad I saw a question but i saw things that he can't ethically answer. Sorry but I have had a couple already and I am a lite weight. I don't think that he can comment on what others do.

Are there any types of fungus that can attack grain that will limit foam/head?
No, but "DON" is a fungus in barley that creates foaming when it is malted. Standard testing determines acceptable limits. http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/pests/pp1302.pdf

If a malting company that supplies malt to the big boys of brewing, have a load of grain that doesn't meet the quality that the big boys want. Is the lower quality grain sold to home brewers?
No everything is malted and blended to specifications, even low quality barley has it's merits in certain applications. The "big boys" as you put it grow a percentage of their barley with farmers, sell it to the malt plant, then re-purchase after malting.

why well-modified pilsen malts still come out hazy?
Haze generally comes from barley variety, and beta glucan. If BG is above 100 expect haze, look for lower then 100, in your malts.

What is the price of un-malted barley?
Barley variety, and market price would be your answer. Almost all barley is contract grown nowadays, a very small amount hits the open market.

Im thinking of exploring malting barley at home due to the geological disadvantage of shipping grains in. My question is coming from a tropical country what are the way that I can germinate grains properly. If what I read was correct you need to germinate at 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. What are the ill effects of germinating at such a high temperature. I saw a barley roller video on you tube by tlgrimmy and was wondering if using a roller like this would mitigate the effects of my hot climate? It get pretty hot here. Around 28-30++ degrees Celsius.

Is there any concern about the barley crops this year for malting? I read that some North Dakota farms are having issues with their harvest.

Can blown brown malt be malted in modern maltsters? When is it coming back!?

Back