ascetic acid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgbrown83

Reaction score
I have made 4 Mr Beer kits I purchased on clearance the first three I used the included yeast. fermented for 2 weeks in the keg at 68 degrees. then bottled and waited another 2 weeks. the first three had high acetylaldehide flavor so I changed to safale 05 on the 4th also fermented for 2 weeks at 68 and just recently bottled. No apparent ascetic flavor. is it safe to say the yeast was probably too old and that's what ruined the beer?

Acetic acid is usually the result of an acetobacter infection and tastes like vinegar. Acetaldehyde is a byproduct produced by yeast and sometimes results in green apple character. Yeast will clean up acetaldehyde at the end of fermentation. I'm assuming you're talking about acetaldehyde and not acetic acid.

Different yeast strains will produce varying amounts of acetaldehyde during fermentation. Towards the end, they'll clean up after themselves and convert acetaldehyde into other compounds. If you didn't have a healthy pitch, it could result in more acetaldehyde production and/or taking longer for the yeast to clean it up after themselves.

Latest posts

Back