artificial carbonation - overdone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hallertaur

Reaction score
I recently overdid the artificial carbonation on a bitter. 4 days at 30psi! Had a short notice trip out of town and forgot about it. Any suggestions for remedies?

I've been thinking about getting a beer gun and just bottling all of it. This of course has the benefit of freeing up the corny for my another batch.

I'm hoping this will be last batch I artificially carbonate as I'm finally getting enough stocked up so that I can slow down a bit.

Thanks

Just let out all the pressure using the relief valve, and set the pressure to what you want it to be. Let it sit for a day, then repeat. Keep doing this until it's at the desired carbonation level, probably 2-3 times.

30psi sounds like what it should be if the beer is room temperature though. When you cool it down to serving temp it will have the proper amount of carbonation and be just fine. But if it was already refrigerated, yeah 30psi is too much.

Why would you want to stop carbing off the tank? Honestly, I don't see any difference except you'll get less yeasty flavor if you force carb. Just release the pressure on the corny every couple hours and it will eventually equalize at a lower carbonation.

Bobby_M said:
Why would you want to stop carbing off the tank? Honestly, I don't see any difference except you'll get less yeasty flavor if you force carb. Just release the pressure on the corny every couple hours and it will eventually equalize at a lower carbonation.

I'm relatively new to kegging, so I don't really really know the difference between force carbonation and natural carbonation other than more frequent, long trips to get my co2 tank filled.

Hmm, I have a 20lb tank and I've carbed and dispensed at least 6 kegs so far and it's still 3/4 full. I guess it would be a different story if I had a smaller tank. I've never tried sugar priming a keg but folks on here that have done a split batch claim the primed one always tastes more yeasty.

Bobby_M said:
Hmm, I have a 20lb tank and I've carbed and dispensed at least 6 kegs so far and it's still 3/4 full. I guess it would be a different story if I had a smaller tank. I've never tried sugar priming a keg but folks on here that have done a split batch claim the primed one always tastes more yeasty.

Mine's only a 5lb :( but can't complain as i got it on the cheap. I think if I force carb it will go in about six kegs which isn't too bad, but I had a steep learning curve when I started kegging. My kegs wouldn't seal properly until I started to using liberal amounts of keg lube. I think I got 3 refills in as many weeks and I'm not really fond of the home brew shop I get them filled at.

So sort of poll: do most folks that keg, artificially carbonate?

I exclusively force carb, but not accelerated force carb. i just set to serving pressure and temp and let it sit for a week - never overdone that way.

Jester369 said:
I exclusively force carb, but not accelerated force carb. i just set to serving pressure and temp and let it sit for a week - never overdone that way.

I didn't even know that was an option to do it that way - shows how much of a noob I am. I suppose it saves a lot more CO2 if you do it that way. Leads me to another question, though:

If after you keg it, put it in the kegerator, and force carb at serving pressure, is it still going to age? Or do you keg it and leave it at cellar temp for a while to age and then put in the kegerator and force carb it?

Most of the beers I have made thus far, haven't had much of a chance to age :cross:

Back