Aroma Hops and the Shirron

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ender

Reaction score
'ho,

I;ve a question that has been nagging at me. I never seem to get the hop Aroma that I think I should get w/o dry hopping. This webpage http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm says that for peak hop aroma boil them for 7 minutes. Most of the recipes I'vr used say to boil them anywhere from 2 mins on down. I brew all grain and use a home made Hop Taco to screen out the hop particles before going into the Shirron. I've also just got my DIY wortwizzard up and running. so the questions are:

1) does only having the aroma hops in the kettle for the time it takes to chill (approx 5 minutes) affect the aroma?

2) should I just say screw the aroma (flame out additions) and dry hop with those hops?

3) should I just leave the kettle alone for 10 minutes or so before I start the chilling process?

Thanks,
Ender

-I'm smelling a lotta IF comming offa this plan-

IF you get the aroma you want from dry hopping then you should dry hop more. The website may be correct about getting more at 7 minutes, but if it isn't more of what you want....
You could also try a hop back.

Each addition time/method gives you a different aroma profile. The peak time mentioned is probably based on the dissolved & retained weight of the aroma oils, but says nothing about the mix. If your expectations are only met by dry hopping, you are looking for some of the most volatile oils and the slightest boiling will drive them off. Even then, the mix will change as the brew ages. I've freshened a keg after 4-5 months by re-hopping.

Thanks for the hop back suggestion. I'm not sure what I want I suppose. I love the aroma of commercial IPA's and I think it is from Dry Hopping.

About boiling off the Aroma, does that happen even if the Hops are added at flame out? Also does it matter the speed of the chilling? If I can cool a 5 gal batch in 5 minutes, does that make a big difference, or does letting it sit for 10 minutes after flame out then chill make a better aroma?

Thanks,
Ender
-I'm smelling a lotta IF comming offa this plan-

I'm thinking of building a hop infuser out of a cartridge filter housing to do a fresh dry hop every pour. I haven't dry hopped but once and it was with pellets. I didn't have the aroma I wanted either, and think I can do better with whole or plugs in the infuser. How did that re-hopping go for you David_42? I have always been curious if anyone did that.

Back