Are You Kidding Me!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
This morning on my way to work a semi (in the opposing lane) kicked up a rock and cracked my windshield (about an inch)...

This weekend the family and I are packing up the family truckster and heading to the beach for a nice few days of relaxation... and getting the windshield replaced while we're at it...

Nothing like sucking my wallet bone dry on the weekend of our vacation...

Bummer. How big is the crack? Visibility-hampering? Well, look at the birght side: better than blown tire or engine problem, i suppose.

sorry, that probably wasn't helpful. Have a good trip anyway.

Bummer. How big is the crack? Visibility-hampering? Well, look at the birght side: better than blown tire or engine problem, i suppose.

sorry, that probably wasn't helpful. Have a good trip anyway.

it's right above my inspection stickers and is about an inch long, its still small and isn't very noticeable if you are just glancing at the windshield...

but it's only going to grow when it gets colder and I'm funny about my cars and their condition, so i'll be getting this replaced as soon as i can.

If it just a small crack, you can get it fixed for pretty cheap.

well it's $210 for a new windshield, what do you mean "get it fixed"? like replaced? or just the crack fixed?

i was thinking about that, but I'm not sure how durable those windshield fix kits are.

Dang, that sucks. At least you'll be able to get it taken care of then put it behind you end enjoy your vacation.

well it's $210 for a new windshield, what do you mean "get it fixed"? like replaced? or just the crack fixed?

i was thinking about that, but I'm not sure how durable those windshield fix kits are.

I had a similar thing happen the first week I had my 2003 Sierra. I took it to a windsheild repair shop to have it fixed. $99.00 and it has yet to expand.

Call your auto insurance provider. Many providers will pay for most or all of it if you catch it before it expands and requires replacement.

...one of the few benefits of living in Mass... Mass law makes it manditory that it's covered under your insurance... fo' free.

Any cracked or broken windshields, you just call one of about 400 windshield companies here in Mass and given them your insurance number, they drive to your car, replace the windshield and drive away.

$0.

i wonder if my rates will go up?

and yeah, if it's $99 to fix it and $210 to replace it, I might as well spend the extra $111 to replace it.

Here in CO windshield cracks are as common as dirt during the winter. It's not required by law, but a lot of CO people (including me) have extra glass coverage on their auto insurance, just to cover the inevitable bullseye or running crack.

My insurance (State farm) has a zero-deductible glass rider that I buy for something like $8 a month on both my cars. Given that the oldest one is an '02 and is on its third windshield, and the newer one is an '03 also on its third windshield, it's a pretty good deal. The '03 is on its third because I had a bottom-dump truck with a bad hatch leak gravel on I-25 at 75 MPH in front of me last spring -- three days after I'd had the windshield replaced. I was NOT a happy camper. That single truck probably killed 25 windshields between Denver and Longmont that day.

Man this happend to me like 2 weeks ago.....a big ol' rock hit my windshield and make a circle like a foot in diameter. But, my cars 14yrs old and I'm looking to upgrade soon so.....I haven't done anything yet.

Call your insurance ASAP. Most insurances have a zero deductible windshield replacement. I had a rock hit my new vehicle 3 months after I owned it. $900 bucks to replace. Glad my insurance covered it.

Super easy. The windshield replacement guy came to my vehicle and did all the work. I signed and he left. $0.

WOW, I called my insurance provider (progressive) and someone will be out on Monday while I'm at work to fix it... no cost.

Apparently the representative told me that small cracks can be repaired and that the work is done by company XYZ and they have a on-site repair service as well as warranty on all their work.

My rates won't go up, we pay nothing and our windshield will be repaired good as new :D

SWEET DEAL!

Wow, some amazing coincidences here. I was driving my NEW Rav4 cross-country a few years ago. I believe it was actually in Colorado one evening we went out to the car and noticed a small crack about an inch long at the top. No idea how it got there. I marked it with chapstick and watched it grow about an inch a day for a few days.

Insurance paid for it in full, no increase in my rates. Company came out and swapped it out a state or two over (I think I had to wait for Monday or something). Having said that, I'd probably have been interested in the repair option because I don't think he put the rubber gasket back quite right. I noticed a long time later that it bulges a bit in a place or two where it shouldn't.

Then, I think it was the very next day, same thing, a rock bounced off a truck in front of us and took a chip out in the center of the new windshield. Fortunately it hasn't spread.

No joking there. I hadn't had my new car for a week before I got hit with a rock. That crack spread like a mo'fo, so there was no time to fix it. It's not in my field of vision though, so I'll leave it until I get a few more :)

Cracks in the wind shield seemed to be the least of the problems in Alaska. Between people hitting moose, deer, and other big things, it seemed when I was there every other car had major front end damage.
I had a small FOX jump in front of my rental 4x4 in Anchorage harbor. Then when I slammed on my brakes and stopped the sucker tried to stare me down and expected me to move out of his way. Needless to say he changed his mind when I hit the gas.
In just a few days I dodged two moose, (are they meeses in groups?), and one deer, and I was just driving around Anchorage city.
Alaska is still wild in all senses of the word.

theres no deer in Anchorage. Moose is a plural word.

But the front end damage is usually plowing into a snow bank during the 9 months of winter. Hitting a Moose usually results in a totaled car.

This morning on my way to work a semi (in the opposing lane) kicked up a rock and cracked my windshield (about an inch)...

This weekend the family and I are packing up the family truckster and heading to the beach for a nice few days of relaxation... and getting the windshield replaced while we're at it...

Nothing like sucking my wallet bone dry on the weekend of our vacation...

That happened to our rental Penske truck as we were moving from NH ---> OR. And best of all it waited to happen until we reached OR. We made the first 2,800 miles with incident, leave it to the last 600. Thank god we bought the insurance.

I owned an autoglass company for a while, in AZ most people have glass coverage. But in some states it is not offered. Either way, don't pay more than $30 for a chip or crack repair. I takes about 10 minutes to do and will not expand if they do it right.
Infact if they do a good job repairing the chip, only the impact point from the rock will be visible. The crack you see is actually air in between the now seperated glass. As they force resin in and suck the air out, the crack should mostly dissapear.

Costs about $0.15 in materials to perform the repair, you mostly pay for the fact you don't own the tools to do it yourself.
Also standard procedure is making sure if the crack DOES spread, the cost of the chip repair is put towards a new windshield for the vehicle.

Latest posts

Back