are the gas and beer poppets identical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datchew

Reaction score
I'm looking at this site because some of my poppets are a bit worn out.

LINK

Do the beer and gas posts each use the same poppet?
Are there exceptions? (i have spartanburg, cornelius, and firestone kegs needing to be rebuilt.)

Thanks.

No. They are different. Try putting your CO2 disconnect on your liquid poppet and see how hard it is to pull off.

Kidding. Don't try it. It's a pain the get it back off.

The poppets are the valves that sit inside the connectors. The body of the connectors are what is what is keyed in or out.

SC - If you look at the top of the posts on a keg, you'll see the top of the poppets. They are the small round thing in the middle, not the entire post. They are spring-loaded valves and identical, gas or fluid, for a specific manufacturer's kegs.

I went to my LBHS for a replacement and they told me that currently they carried 4 different styles. I was able to narrow what I needed down to two.

Poppets are the same for liquid and gas, just tell them what kind of keg you have.

The poppets are the valves that sit inside the connectors. The body of the connectors are what is what is keyed in or out.

SC - If you look at the top of the posts on a keg, you'll see the top of the poppets. They are the small round thing in the middle, not the entire post. They are spring-loaded valves and identical, gas or fluid, for a specific manufacturer's kegs.

Thanks for clearing that up. I've never torn one of mine apart, so I was under the impression the whole thing was a single part. I figured the poppet was part of the post.

Poppets are the same for liquid and gas, just tell them what kind of keg you have.

Perfect.

I knew the difference between the posts and the poppets, but apparently I sowed some confusion with my verbage or something.

yes, as mentioned, I know the type of kegs I have the types of posts, but as the links provided show only 1 poppet per type of keg, I wanted to make sure.

This sentence above (and others) cleared it up.
I really appreciate the help gang.

Latest posts

Back